Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

It's the quantity they have to be made at. If I really wanted McCoy and Scotty, I'd buy original or Emce ones and swap the heads onto the new bodies.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
      on the other hand we have recently had 3, more action oriented Trek films which have attracted a whole new generation. so who knows. maybe they should do the two packs again and have Kirk and McCoy, Spock and scotty
      Even though the new films were more action oriented, the toy sales for them were still poor. Star Trek just lacks the necessary element that makes a great toy. Khan is arguably Trek's greatest villain, but when put up against Darth Vader in the toy aisle he has ZERO chance.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by VulcansFury
        To be fair they were pricier. I'm sure you'll get more red shirt army builder purchases at current Mego prices than Diamonds old price. I passed on DSTs prices entirely. I still dont own McCoy or Scotty myself and look forward to getting them too.
        But the price doesn’t change the percentages of characters sold. No matter the price, you’re still going to sell way more of the more popular Spock than Scotty. You sell more Batman than Green Lantern. You sell more Ace Frehley than Peter Criss.

I still consistently see Chekov and Sulu hanging in Target. I almost never see Kirk and Spock.
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
          Even though the new films were more action oriented, the toy sales for them were still poor. Star Trek just lacks the necessary element that makes a great toy. Khan is arguably Trek's greatest villain, but when put up against Darth Vader in the toy aisle he has ZERO chance.
          that is true, but the toys they made for them were garbage. my son loved them when they came out, but from a collectors standpoint, it was poor paint aps, crappy body style/articulation. I totally passed on them because of it, other than buying for my son

Comment

• Liu Bei
            Banned
            • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by enyawd72
            Yeah, and I'd go even a step further and argue that Star Trek has always been a bit problematic in that it's just not a very toyetic property. It's not like Star Wars with dozens of cool alien races, constant battles with laser pistols and lightsabers, smaller spaceships and individual fighters...a whole lot of Star Trek is people just standing and/or sitting around talking.

Don't get me wrong, I love Star Trek...more than Star Wars actually. But Star Wars makes for better toys, especially if you're trying to sell to kids. There have been so many Trek lines that barely make it past the big three, and there's a reason for that. Uhura isn't Princess Leia. She spends 95% of the time sitting in a chair with a headset on doing nothing. Same with Sulu and Chekov. They sit at the helm and push buttons. Wow. That's exciting. Let's face it, he most action packed episode of Star Trek is probably "Arena", which is why we've gotten the Gorn three times now. Gorn sells.
            Overall I tend to agree, but Playmates had a pretty successful run with the Star Trek license. It would’ve gone longer, but they turned off a ton of collectors of with their “exclusives.”

I think less popular bridge crew members can be made more appealing by including special accessories, and/or including them exclusively in two-packs (especially with aliens), playsets, etc...

Just my two cents, anyway.

Comment

• mego
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 16, 2012

Damnit Jim, I'm a Doctor not a peg warmer!!!

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                But the price doesn’t change the percentages of characters sold. No matter the price, you’re still going to sell way more of the more popular Spock than Scotty. You sell more Batman than Green Lantern. You sell more Ace Frehley than Peter Criss.

I still consistently see Chekov and Sulu hanging in Target. I almost never see Kirk and Spock.
                I agree with what your saying, I think new Mego decided to go with Sulu and Chekov first instead of McCoy and Scotty
                is maybe because old Mego never made them although EMCE did, but I'm not sure how those sold back in 08.

I think new Mego should do Scotty red shirt and (dress uniform kilt) and Dr. McCoy in short sleeve med shirt, I think they will sell better than Sulu-Chekov did, jmo.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 11, 2013

I keep buying the Sulu-Checkov for there outfits so the 8 Targets I visit so there are no more there. Chekov hasn't been offered at Target for months.

I do have extra heads of McCoy but not Scotty (yet). If I have to I guess I can order the parts from Doc Mego.
                  Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

The red shirts that Doc Mego has right now are really bad. They don't fit well and look terrible.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                      Permanent Member
                      • May 15, 2009

Sorry but Scotty and McCoy will sell better than Spock variant 15 or Uhura or Chekov. Doesn't make any sense.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

McCoy is the third lead of the show. It'd be like leaving Wonder Woman out of DC's Trinity.

If Mego is unsure about offering McCoy and Scott, they should consider offering them in two-packs with notable aliens/guest stars.

And if Mego is finishing KISS, they can finish Trek--these are collectors lines, not kids' lines.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 11, 2013

I bought Green Shirt Kirk and Spock and then Mirror Universe set. I just do not care for the other variants. I want to complete the set and get more so I can add crew members to the set.
                          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• sprytel
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 26, 2009

EMCE Scotty had an overly red face and was 2-packed with the Keeper. I would think that didn't help his sales.

EMCE McCoy was paired with the Romulan, which would seem like a popular combo. I seemed to remember the set selling well comparitively. Frankly I'm surprised to hear that Doc feels differently.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 11, 2013

If they had to a two to release Scotty than why not offer a generic Klingon. This why people who want to make 'army' builders can keep buying the two pack to add to there collection.
                              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• PNGwynne
                                Master of Fowl Play
                                • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by sprytel
                                EMCE Scotty had an overly red face and was 2-packed with the Keeper. I would think that didn't help his sales.
                                Exactly. And I still bought extras for customs.
                                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎