X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures: Mike Power Atomic Man

This week is all about one of my favourite childhood friends, the amazing Mike Power : Atomic Man from the GI Joe Adventure Team.

We talk about his origins, foreign incarnations, accessories and his sales.

Special thanks to Chris at www.1964gijoe.com

Hosted and edited by Brian Heiler (@plaidstallions)

PlaidStallions Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/Plaidstallionsdotcom/

Plaidstallions facebook group
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2226244254053126/

Twitter: @plaidstallions

Subscribe to our Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwY..._as=subscriberFor more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

I found a Mike Power in Amish country some years back, and sold it to a member here. Cool figure, but 12" GI Joe was never really my thing.
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• GlobalObserver
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 12, 2004

This was the last action figure I ever had when I was a kid. I got it for my 11th birthday. I liked it way better than the Six Million Dollar Man figure by Kenner. I loved The GI Joe Adventure Team figures.

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

Its clear you love bionic knock-offs, but do you have a passion for official SMDM toys?

and I love the SMDM end cap photo. Do you know where its from?
        Last edited by Wee67; Jul 30, '19, 5:31 PM.
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

You're ebullient in this video, Mike must have sparked some truly fond memories. I really enjoyed this toy venture.

I was strictly a SMDM kid, and I had a lot of it. But now, I really like Mike. I have the Palitoy version, which I think is awesome. (I love their additional touches to Atomic Man and Bulletman.) I'm pleased to see you featured him, too.

I'm even working on a custom version of Mike. I wish Hasbro had expanded the Adventure team even more as Mattel did with Big Jim's PACK, but I'm trying to remedy that with some simple customs.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• powersthatbe
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 27, 2010

I never had Steve Austin but I had Mike Power, who I filled in for as the bionic man.

Comment

• knight errant00
              8 Inch Action Figure
              • Nov 15, 2005

Finally got Mike Power in my 30s. I was surprised at the light pipe feature, as I'd assumed as a kid that he had an actual light behind his eye. Funny how he wen from being worthless to valuable -- I unfortunately never grabbed Bulletman back then (the Joe I really wanted to add to my set as a kid!) and finding one at a reasonable price now, as you mentioned, is a challenge.

But man, what a fun figure -- I still like to make his helicopter arm spin! Thanks for the video!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

It's interesting that you mention his eye, because I thought the same. But actually, I liked the low-tech aspect once I had one in hand.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MysteryWho
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 16, 2008

One of the first figures I bought on eBay when I actually had some money together was a carded Atomic Man. I had the SMDM figures as a kid, as well as Pulsar and Hypnos, but I missed out on Atomic Man. I must've known about him, he was in the comic book ads, etc., but I never really noticed him until I started collecting as an adult. I'd love to get some of his sets and accessories but the cost now is too high for me to consider. One interesting point about mine, he is called Maj. Mike Power on the card, I've never seen another with "Major" on it, although I know he was referred to that way in the comic ads. Oh, it does say that on the accessory sets as well, possibly other packaging.
                  Last edited by MysteryWho; Jul 30, '19, 10:44 PM. Reason: Duh

Comment

• J.B.
                    Guild Navigator
                    • Jun 23, 2010

Wish I still had my Atomic Man and Bullet Man figures.
                    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• B-Lister
                      Eccentric Weirdo
                      • Mar 19, 2010

Atomic nipple!
                      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^That's exactly what my daughter an I thought while watching the video! She didn't want to say it, but when I did, she remarked "I was thinking it too!"

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• scott metzger
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 9, 2007

One of my favorites as a kid. He was Steve Austin's (admittedly short) younger partner, a friend who was in a car accident and became the second $7 million man. These and my Megos were the things I played with the most. And I still have all the originals: Mike, Steve, Oscar, Jamie, Bigfoot, Duke the German Shepard as Max (only had to replace Maskatron in my display because my original has a bunch of melt marks, but I still have him). Never cared for the goofy, ill fitting camo suit, so he usually wore the black GI Joe turtle neck with navy pants. His hands disintegrated long ago, but the classic chop stick hands work fine. Had to touch up his hair paint a bit, but this is the actual figure I played with as a lad in nice updated outfit:

mike1.jpgbionicdisplay2.jpg

(Oscar is waiting for his lazy tailor to get around to making him his signature gray three piece suit...)

Now I want to go run somewhere in slow motion...
                          Last edited by scott metzger; Aug 1, '19, 7:53 AM.

Comment

• B-Lister
                            Eccentric Weirdo
                            • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            ^That's exactly what my daughter an I thought while watching the video! She didn't want to say it, but when I did, she remarked "I was thinking it too!"

Chris
                            Haha. It's a cool detail I wish the US version had. If I collected Joe both versions would top my list.

Comment

• drquest
                              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                              • Apr 17, 2012

I have both version and the Action Man version is better, flocked hair rules as does the atomic heart he has.
                              Danny(Drquest)
                              Captain Action HQ
                              Retro shirts and stuff
                              More retro shirts
                              Stuff For Sale

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡