Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Burger King Taco Appreciation Thread

The one thing you will not find in a proper authentic Mexican taco is ground beef.

Quote Originally Posted by PNGwynne View Post
    ^Oh, I thought it was like an actual gyro-taco lol.

But pork in any form, who can fault it?
    Yes, Al Pastor is based on the Shawarma, Doner kebab, and Gyros.

Topped with pineapple of course!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_pastor

Mexican changed it up from lamb to pork. But adapted the barbacoa to be lamb. So they can enjoy both, lol.

My favorite taco when done right is carne asada.

However, notice the ďdone rightĒ comment.

Here in the States, most taquerias and taco trucks use the cheapest beef available. Itís either top round, london broil...or more flavorful but still not high grade sirloin or chuck. In pork it doesnít matter, pork is pork because itís either fried or marinated. I donít like my beef marinated or heavily spiced. Iím a beef connoisseur, and great quality beef doesnít need anything but salt (and pepper). These fast food caterers will mostly not offer ribeye, tri-tip, flank, arrachera (hanger steak), skirt, tenderloin, t-bone, etc. Now, a few do offer these meats, the really good ones...youíll get a pricier taco...but imagine, a medium-rare thinly sliced grilled ribeye on a taco is food of the gods. The Netflix show featuring the Asada episode shows a server doing this...now thatís an amazing taco that canít be beat. But not many of these establishment do that...simply because aside from the higher price...most Mexicans like well-done beef and are okay with cheaper-priced marinated beef as a taco topping. Please kids, donít ruin a good ribeye by burning the heck out of it...

Jimboy's Tacos right outside Disneyland....oh man, best tacos I've ever had. Went to DL a few weeks ago and kept stopping at Jimboy's for a 6-pack on the walk back to the hotel. The shells have a salty cheese dusting. Soooo good...made myself sick.

Taco Bell always gives me gas so I never go there but in HS when their $1 menu truly included almost everything, we'd go there for lunch and easily eat $15-$20 worth each. Only fast food burger place I've tried a taco is Jack in the Box - terrible.

For local Seattle, Taco Time is great.

-Chris

Images
    I'm not a huge fan of Taco Bell but they are miles above BK's taco

I know i'm gunna get beat down for this but my favorite tacos of all time were the make-your-own taco bar at Bonanza/Ponderosa -- I forget which, I always mix them up.

They had a great fixen's bar and the ground beef was just that
    .................................................. .......................

Images
    My favorite taco is from a place called Don Pepe’s. The tortilla is hand made fresh and they put beans in the taco. I was considering trying the BK taco but was a bit skeptical.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of Taco Bell but they are miles above BK's taco

I know i'm gunna get beat down for this but my favorite tacos of all time were the make-your-own taco bar at Bonanza/Ponderosa -- I forget which, I always mix them up.

They had a great fixen's bar and the ground beef was just that

They're the same place. Name is different depending on where you are at.

Images
    Burger King can barely do what is in their name, why would you expect them to be able to enter Taco Bell's territory successfully?
    Yeah, BK is the armpit of fast food nowadays. Everyone I've been in in the last several decades is dirty and depressing. I think we hit a BK drive-thru once in the last 10 years or so, and it wasn't very good.

I will say the grossest hamburger I've ever ate at a fast food joint was the "new" Hardees Classic Double. It's basically a Big Mac, with Big Mac sauce, but what kills it is the slimy grilled onions on it. Mixing those in with the Thousand Island sauce is like mixing Listerine with gasoline. It's horrible.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    As the resident beaner...I have nothing against Americanized tacos. I myself occasionally will go to Taco Bell and have a crunchy taco meal (I avoid the burritos, they are gross). I make them at home as well.

Having said that...Iíve had the best tacos ever in Mexico, Texas, and California.:

Dude.

NOT COOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Galvan View Post
    Dude.

NOT COOL.
    Oh please...I’m Mexican-American...we have been calling each other beaner for decades. Family members, my personal friends, all say that word to each other as a way of kidding. It’s an affectionate slang amongst ourselves...stop...not you or any other stranger is going to start lecturing or scolding me about this. Do you know what ALBURES means? If you don’t, you are not Mexican. You post here once in a blue moon...and instead of staying on topic...you come here tying to judge me on practically what’s referred to as a term of endearment. Now wetback, greaser, illegal, etc...those are bad...but not beaner, especially coming from a Mexican. A non-Mexican saying that to a Mexican, if they are not friends, and if said in anger or are being dismissive (or purposely trying to be offensive), then that is indeed insulting, especially nowadays during these anti-illegal immigration times (darn it, I got political, something I try to avoid here).

BTW are you Mexican? If you are someone other than a Mexican, then you have no merit saying this to me. And if you are Mexican and still take issue with a Mexican saying that word...then the PC Police has gotten a stronghold on you.

None here took issue with that word until you posted. They all know me here, I’ve posted that word before several times in the last...they know what/where I’m coming from.

No mames, buey!
    Last edited by Hector; Jul 30, '19 at 12:48 PM.