X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

Criterion release #1000: Godzilla Showa era 15 film set on Blu-ray 10/29

Save your pennies because in October, Criterion has something special for spine #1000, the fifteen Showa era Godzilla films (1954-1975). Looks like quite a set!

In 1954, an enormous beast clawed its way out of the sea, destroying everything in its path—and changing movies forever. The arresting original Godzilla soon gave rise to an entire monster-movie genre (kaiju eiga), but the King of the Monsters continued to reign supreme: in fourteen fiercely entertaining sequels over the next two decades, Godzilla defended its throne against a host of other formidable creatures, transforming from a terrifying symbol of nuclear annihilation into a benevolent (if still belligerent) Earth protector. Collected here for the first time are all fifteen Godzilla films of Japan’s Showa era, in a landmark set showcasing the technical wizardry, fantastical storytelling, and indomitable international appeal that established the most iconic giant monster the cinema has ever seen.
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Oh I am getting this set!!!!
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Can't wait to get the films but MAN is that packaging hideous.

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

I think Godzilla 54 was already released on Blu-ray? but regardless this will be very cool to have for any Godzilla collector
        and released right at Halloween how cool is that?

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

If you can wait until November, Barnes and Nobel usually has an annual 50% off Criterion sale.

Comment

• B-Lister
            Eccentric Weirdo
            • Mar 19, 2010

$200 is steep, but all in one go? Very tempting. I just wish that they contained both versions of each film like the Classic Media versions. I understand the purpose of the Criterion Collection is to preserve culturally relevant films in their original formats, but if it's subtitled, it isn't really the original format either.
            Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• phil
              Persistent Member
              • May 11, 2007

Does this set include both the Japanese and English language versions of each film? For a few of the films the original Japanese versions are considerably different.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                Permanent Member
                • May 15, 2009

It's like $12 a film. It's a super steal.

Comment

• B-Lister
                  Eccentric Weirdo
                  • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by phil
                  Does this set include both the Japanese and English language versions of each film? For a few of the films the original Japanese versions are considerably different.
                  Only for a few. Still worth the buy, imo.
                  Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• B-Lister
                    Eccentric Weirdo
                    • Mar 19, 2010

I picked the setbup last week, and I'm thoroughly pleased by it.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎