Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masters of the Universe Origins He-Man/Prince Adam...my review.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott metzger
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 9, 2007

I started looking for He-Man figures after getting DC Comics Presents #47 and being introduced to Eternia. Checked out everyplace I could for a week after class, and finally found the first few figures at Wards. Haven't stopped following the property since, and it, along with the DCU, is my favorite property of all time. For me, I think Classics will always be the ultimate MOTU line with the presentation of the characters and the loving skills of the Four Horsemen; it's everything I wished the original line could have been. I was all in on the sci-fi He-Man line when the property returned, and almost wept when I picked up the 200X Battle Armor He-Man and pushed the button to hear John Erwin shout, "I have the power!!!" I've followed all the incarnations thus far. From the original line, I have every regular US release figure and vehicle, all the playsets straight off the shelves save Eternia (just have the towers), plus the two giants; everything released here in the US from He-Man plus Nordor and a couple figures we didn't see here; every US release from 200X and both versions of Grayskull; everything general release and chase from Classics except the too-rich-for-my-blood Snake Mountain pre-order. Needless to say, I will definitely be following this one, as well. It looks like a great blend of the original and Classics, but seems to have a bit of a flair of its own. I'm assuming the six figures we saw at SDCC are the first wave, and they are definitely starting out strong. I have a hope that Classics might continue, as there are still some characters I would like to see, but that hope is quickly fading (thank the ancients we finally got Kittrina before the axe might fall). And I do fear Mattel's attention span; Super 7, despite some issues, sees He-Man as one of its top properties, their Cadillac line, something they are anxious to make and continue. Mattel has a bad history with MOTU and its fans, and I fear their usual shortsightedness may creep in here. I just hope we don't see three or four waves and then Mattel decides they can make more putting the resources into wrestlers or dinosaurs. The company has some long standing problems overall, and when things get tight, lines like this are the first they target.

I want to be really excited about this line, but the words "It's Mattel" keep me from getting my hopes up too much. I hope we don't wind up losing the Classics line for a handful of these figures and then Mattel gets bored. I'm in for the ride, I just hope it's a smoother one than I've had through the past couple decades.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

^Classics made a total of 282 figures.

If that's not a success I don't know what is. If this new line reaches 100 I'll be ecstatic.

Remember, Mattel is losing DC...they need another hit to replace it, and it looks like they're betting heavily on MOTU, which is smart, since they own it outright and can do whatever they want, plus no licensing fee to pay.
      It's a win-win for them for this to succeed.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Even the 2002 reboot, which is the least successful MOTU line, still managed to get out figures of a good amount of the major He-Man characters in its short two year run. Not counting the Horde and the POP characters, the Sorceress was the only A list character that didn't get made.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

I forgot to mention, very nice pictures. Thank you for posting them.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• scott metzger
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by Werewolf
            Even the 2002 reboot, which is the least successful MOTU line, still managed to get out figures of a good amount of the major He-Man characters in its short two year run. Not counting the Horde and the POP characters, the Sorceress was the only A list character that didn't get made.
            Well, NECA did jump in with the staction statues to fill out the line afterwards. Not real figures, but made to look like them and blend in with the line.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Wasn't a fan of the Stactions but I did get Sorceress and Stinkor.

Comment

• sprytel
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 26, 2009

Great pics. He looks awesome.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Man, this line is going to be so tempting. Thanks for the review and for everyone sharing their thoughts and pics.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎