Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Look! Mego Phantom of the Opera!

Images
    Looks really nice.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    Interested in seeing the color version, but looks great to me.

Really wondering how they are skirting the Universal license here. There's no arguing that's the 1925 version we've seen licensed from Universal many times, and it's an incredibly well done likeness, at that. Did Chaney utilize the make-up outside the film somewhere along the line?

How differant is this from the EMCE version?

Blog Entries
    It's actually a new head sculpt. The EMCE/DST one was done by Sean Sansom, this one is done by Andrew Covalt.

Images
    Blog Entries
    I want to see Christine Daae.
    JediJaida

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Really wondering how they are skirting the Universal license here. There's no arguing that's the 1925 version we've seen licensed from Universal many times, and it's an incredibly well done likeness, at that. Did Chaney utilize the make-up outside the film somewhere along the line?
    Universal doesn't hold exclusive rights to the 1925 Phantom or 1923 Hunchback. They carelessly let both of them slip into the public domain years ago. Because of this, they CAN and do include him in their own lines of monster toys, but they can't prevent anyone else from doing it either. That's why the Phantom has been released by dozens of companies on VHS and DVD.

Images
    The print of the movie is in public domain but last I heard Chaney Enterprises still owns the rights to the make up designs.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    The print of the movie is in public domain but last I heard Chaney Enterprises still owns the rights to the make up designs.
    Mego seems to have a preexisting relationship with Chaney Enterprises so this is likely licensed.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    so this is likely licensed.
    It's like when Sideshow made Phantom and London After Midnight Vampire figures, they still had to license the make up rights from Chaney Enterprises. I mean, yes, they could try to fly under the radar but that is still spot on Chaney Phantom even if they try repainting it in funny colors or glow plastic. So, yeah, hopefully it's licensed.