• Jun 14, 2008

I want to see Christine Daae.
    JediJaida

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by scott metzger
      Really wondering how they are skirting the Universal license here. There's no arguing that's the 1925 version we've seen licensed from Universal many times, and it's an incredibly well done likeness, at that. Did Chaney utilize the make-up outside the film somewhere along the line?
      Universal doesn't hold exclusive rights to the 1925 Phantom or 1923 Hunchback. They carelessly let both of them slip into the public domain years ago. Because of this, they CAN and do include him in their own lines of monster toys, but they can't prevent anyone else from doing it either. That's why the Phantom has been released by dozens of companies on VHS and DVD.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

The print of the movie is in public domain but last I heard Chaney Enterprises still owns the rights to the make up designs.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
          The print of the movie is in public domain but last I heard Chaney Enterprises still owns the rights to the make up designs.
          Mego seems to have a preexisting relationship with Chaney Enterprises so this is likely licensed.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
            so this is likely licensed.
            It's like when Sideshow made Phantom and London After Midnight Vampire figures, they still had to license the make up rights from Chaney Enterprises. I mean, yes, they could try to fly under the radar but that is still spot on Chaney Phantom even if they try repainting it in funny colors or glow plastic. So, yeah, hopefully it's licensed.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

It's like when Sideshow made Phantom and London After Midnight Vampire figures, they still had to license the make up rights from Chaney Enterprises. I mean, yes, they could try to fly under the radar but that is still spot on Chaney Phantom even if they try repainting it in funny colors or glow plastic. So, yeah, hopefully it's licensed.
              I can't imagine it isn't. I mean, they have a business relationship already.

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

That's so funny when you think about it...Chaney estate holds the rights to Lon Chaney's likeness when the sole purpose of his makeups was to make him unrecognizable as Lon Chaney.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

They own his likeness and make up designs. Lon designed the Phantom make up so Chaney Enterprises owns the rights.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I want to see this figure in color more closely, and I'm soooo curious about an accessory. I'll tweak his tie a bit, but he looks nice.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• scott metzger
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 9, 2007

Licensing is sometimes more complex than physics. Does make sense in all: Universal doesn't own the rights to block the figure, and Mego has a deal with the Chaney estate we've already seen with the werewolf. Bottom line, we get a fantastic looking figure out of it. That sculpt is nothing short of exquisite.

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by scott metzger
                        Licensing is sometimes more complex than physics. .
                        I can honestly tell you, half of the "why doesn't anyone make figures of XXXX" isn't because they haven't thought of it, it's because it's a) a total rights nightmare or b) Really expensive or c) not even available as a license.

My friend spent a month tracking down who holds the Blade Runner license for the 1982 version, got a guy on the phone, sarted his spiel and they said "not going to happen" and hung up.

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

^This. This is 100% true.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

Estates can be very tricky and make licensors apprehensive. Universal is always afraid some relative of Colin Clive will emerge, which is why we never get Henry Frankenstein figures.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Officially Licensed

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

Nice!!!

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀