Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Superman Returns has the greatest live action Superman rescue scene of all times...the plane scene. To me, this is the zenith. I always get goosebumps and a big smile when I see Chris Reeve Superman rescuing Lois Lane for the first time from the falling helicopter in Superman 78...but Brandon Routh’s Returns scene is the one that really shows audiences...WOW...this is what SUPERMAN was born to do. It’s just a wonderful scene...

The soundtrack, music, visuals...the special-effects still holds up after all these years. Love how despite Superman’s speed and strength, he still struggles due to the plane’s limited structural integrity. It’s like you and I trying to save a fast falling papier-mâché plane, yet we struggle by trying to catch but not damage it. The wings breaking off, the haul turning into an accordion, and so on. Superman had to use all his skills to stop and place the plane on the baseball field very carefully without destroying and hurting the passengers.

Awesome, wonderful scene...
    sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^Agreed Hector. That one scene makes up for a lot of the movie's deficiencies. I do wish they hadn't relied so much on CGI in the sequence, but overall it still holds up very well. And the nods to the Reeve/Donner film at the end of the sequence are great.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

I think the CGI was well done, not cartoony at all.

Yes, the end sequence as great indeed.
        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

The scene I don’t like is this one...

Why?

It’s an island made up of KRYPTONITE!!!

How in the hell did Superman managed to lift that???

Impossible. Yes, it’s superhero fantasy, but rules are still to be followed.

If he can still accomplish that unbelievable beyond amazing feat, then no one would have a chance against Superman with Kryptonite. Imagine poor ol Batman facing off against Superman with a piece of Kryptonite the size of a baseball...THAT WOULD BE NOTHING...since Superman can handle a giant MOUNTAIN of it, lol.

Also, Superman being so small compared to the island and all...with all that power and strength...he would punch a hole through the rock, like a black hole...and the rest would crumble...it’s like a baker trying to lift a massive cake with his index finger. This scene is the total opposite of the plane scene.

Plane scene...A+
          Kryptonite Island scene...C-, just because the Williams music and soundtrack is so boss...
          sigpic

Comment

• Random Axe
            The Voice of Reason
            • Apr 16, 2008

As I've mentioned in several threads before this one, I think WB really missed out cause Routh IS the Superman they needed. I was so hoping that WB felt badly how they treated him and then, in a act of both coolness and irony, would have cast him as Shazam.

Can you imagine the box office records if they had done BvS with Routh and Bale ten years prior to the nuclear turd they actually delivered?
            I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by knight errant00
              I've been saying since they announced Crisis that, if they do nothing else, they need to line up all the living Superman actors they can -- Routh, Welling, Cain, Gerard Christopher, John Haymes Newton, and yes, even Ron Ely (I'm realistic enough to know they won't ever get Cavill for the show) and give us shot of ALL of them together, in costumes styled after the ones they wore on screen, for the most epic moment they could possibly put on film for this. Heck, I have the scene and the music cue written already . . .
              Be nice, drop in CGI George Reeves, Kirk Alyn and Chris Reeve too. Heck bring on Adam West too.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• knight errant00
                8 Inch Action Figure
                • Nov 15, 2005

OK, if they can pull off Routh as the Kingdom Come Superman as well as Alex Ross does in this sketch he released, they're going to have something.

Screenshot_20190727-074014.jpg

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

I am really looking forward to this crossover. I just really hope they give everyone more than a cameo.

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

That Alex Ross sketch looks pretty darn perfect.

Comment

• Brue
                      User without title
                      • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      Please get Shaq on there as Steel.
                      I would love it if they did! Yes, the movie was cheesy and aimed at a young audience, bur it was fun and shall looked and loved the part.

Comment

• Brue
                        User without title
                        • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Hector
                        Superman Returns has the greatest live action Superman rescue scene of all times...the plane scene. To me, this is the zenith. I always get goosebumps and a big smile when I see Chris Reeve Superman rescuing Lois Lane for the first time from the falling helicopter in Superman 78...but Brandon Routh’s Returns scene is the one that really shows audiences...WOW...this is what SUPERMAN was born to do. It’s just a wonderful scene...

The soundtrack, music, visuals...the special-effects still holds up after all these years. Love how despite Superman’s speed and strength, he still struggles due to the plane’s limited structural integrity. It’s like you and I trying to save a fast falling papier-mâché plane, yet we struggle by trying to catch but not damage it. The wings breaking off, the haul turning into an accordion, and so on. Superman had to use all his skills to stop and place the plane on the baseball field very carefully without destroying and hurting the passengers.

Awesome, wonderful scene...
                        Yes! That scene is incredible. Probably the best Superman action scene to date.

And Routh was great casting. Unfortunately, the script, the thong, casting of Lois, and continuing the logical course of Superman 2 just didn't work. And though he did a great Reeve impersonation, people didn't want that. People wanted a real sequel to S2 and they loved Reeve. But when they realized the result of the one night stand at teh fortress resulted in a superbaby and and that Routh can't be Reeve - they were upset.

The film has good points. Routh and (pre controversial) Spacey were great, And Parker Posey, archival Brando, Larson cameo. The cinematography, action and music were great.

For me the part that I can't get past is Lois.

It would be cool to see Him and Welling in this Crisis,

Comment

• powersthatbe
                          Persistent Member
                          • Sep 27, 2010

Black Lightning will also be in Crisis.

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                            Persistent Member
                            • Sep 3, 2009

Originally posted by Brue
                            I would love it if they did! Yes, the movie was cheesy and aimed at a young audience, bur it was fun and shall looked and loved the part.
                            you sure about the aimed at a young audience bit

it was educational though

rowntrees dialog especially in my sons case , "well i be dipped in s**t and rolled in breadcrumbs "was his favorite expression for years after he was around 5 at the time ,made life interesting to say the least

but then again it was a favorite of mine to if im honest
                            Last edited by libby 1957dog; Aug 4, '19, 7:14 AM.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                              Persistent Member
                              • Sep 27, 2010

And Kevin Conroy will also appear as old man Bruce Wayne.

Comment

• Joshua the Atomic Robot
                                Veteran Member
                                • Aug 14, 2012

Originally posted by powersthatbe
                                And Kevin Conroy will also appear as old man Bruce Wayne.
                                So cool! And Black Lightning will be appearing as well. This is just a mind-melting stew of crossover goodness! Now they need to get someone from the 1970s Shazam! TV series...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎