Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masters of the Universe Origins officially announced. Skeletor pictures.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by sprytel
    I hope I'm wrong. I have a lot of love for MOTU. But kids don't really have any connection to those inspirations like Flash Gordon or Conan, so I'm not sure they are going to get where these are coming from. They certainly have a different concept of the "physical ideal" than we did back in the roided out '80s. I worry these will just seem kind of goofy under the nostalgia-free gaze of kids.
    I think kids will go nuts for these. I did when I first saw Skeletor on the school bus back in 1981. I still remember that day.
    A kid from my class had him and pulled him out. When I saw that blue skin, purple armor and skull face it was love at first sight. Nobody knew anything about MOTU when it debuted but it took off like a rocket.
    I had two years worth of MOTU toys, games, books and records, coloring books, and the lunch box before the cartoon even came out.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by sprytel
      I worry these will just seem kind of goofy under the nostalgia-free gaze of kids.
      Goofy is kind of the point of MOTU. A wonderful brightly colored mishmash of all kinds of stuff that shouldn't work together but totally does. It's just fun.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Mattel is also doing WWE figures in MOTU style. Skip ahead to picture 17.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ODBJBG
          Permanent Member
          • May 15, 2009

Yup, completely in Origins style. Apparently will use same molds. Will likely add some accessories and swappable parts to interact with. Pretty neat.

Especially when you see they have stuff like the Terror Claws in the WWE line.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

The wrestling stuff doesn't interest me but I still think it's clever cross promotion and should do well.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by ODBJBG
              Yup, completely in Origins style. Apparently will use same molds. Will likely add some accessories and swappable parts to interact with. Pretty neat.

Especially when you see they have stuff like the Terror Claws in the WWE line.
              Yes! Thanks to the accessories shown we know for sure that Terror Claws Skeletor, Clawful, Stratos, and Fisto are in the works.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I'm confused by the knee articulation--why the pointy knees, especially Teela & Evil-Lyn?
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                  Permanent Member
                  • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by enyawd72
                  Yes! Thanks to the accessories shown we know for sure that Terror Claws Skeletor, Clawful, Stratos, and Fisto are in the works.
                  Yeah pretty awesome. They also have the battle damage armor Macho, so I would imagine we're getting Battle Damage figures in the MOTU line pretty soon too.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    I'm confused by the knee articulation--why the pointy knees, especially Teela & Evil-Lyn?
                    It's the same design as the male figures I think their sculpts just hide the articulation better.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Man at Arms and Beastman have been added to the MOTU comic con display. They look great. Love the bright colors.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

It turns out it's not just the accessories that are compatible. The figures come apart so can swap out parts between the MOTU and WWE figures. The customization of the figures should really appeal to kids.

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

So they're smart enough to make a crossover toy line, but not smart enough to co-produce a MOTU movie with WWE talent?

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by hedrap
                            So they're smart enough to make a crossover toy line, but not smart enough to co-produce a MOTU movie with WWE talent?
                            Sony has the movie rights.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎