Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masters of the Universe Origins officially announced. Skeletor pictures.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Masters of the Universe Origins officially announced. Skeletor pictures.

Skeletor looks great and I love the retro packaging. But Fall 2020 release? That can't be right.

Mattel has announced their new Masters of the Universe Origins action figure line (via io9) for San Diego Comic-Con 2019. The 5.5" tall figures will be based on the classic MOTU toy line, but will come packed with updated articulations. The line originally was revealed with a SDCC 2019 Exclusive 2-Pack. The first two figures...
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

These look fantastic, I would love to collect these. They are traditional retail?
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      They are traditional retail?
      Yes, that's what I've heard.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Pixel Dan confirmed on twitter that MOTU Origins is a regular retail line and the figures will be priced at $14.99. More figures will be revealed Friday.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

That is great news. What I particularly like about these is the mostly vintage aesthetic with increased articulation.
          Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 17, '19, 9:10 PM.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Lots of pictures from preview night including new Mega Construx figures and sets.

Masters of the Universe is coming back to Mattel in a big way. At San Diego Comic-Con 2019 they unveiled their new MOTU Origins 5.5" Figures, with more debuting later this week. They also had a large amount of MOTU Mega Construx on display. See those photos after the jump.

Looks like MOTU gets its own Mega Construx line in 2020 instead just being mixed in with the Mega Construx Heroes waves. More Origins figures will be revealed Thursday and Friday. Seems like a MOTU retail renaissance is coming next year.
            Last edited by Werewolf; Jul 17, '19, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• ODBJBG
              Permanent Member
              • May 15, 2009

Yeah it's strange that these figures are supposedly over a year away from release. Doesn't make any sense. Hopefully that comes a lot sooner, since they already have these Origins figures done.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Seeing some pics pop up on instagram. Evil-Lyn, Teela, Beastman and Man at Arms.

Comment

• sprytel
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 26, 2009

These looks really great. I love the way they kept the feel of the original, but still found ways to improve the articulation to meet modern expectations. Looks like they were slightly influenced by the Filmation cartoon as well.

I wonder about the decision to sell these at retail. While it is fun that they will be at retail at a reasonable price point, I do not see these selling to anyone under 30.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by sprytel
                    I do not see these selling to anyone under 30.
                    I can see them selling to kids. MOTU has been toyetic kid friendly from the start. It was designed to be. A bit SW and Flash Gordon mixed with a little bit of Conan sword and sorcery mixed in with little bit of super hero wish fulfillment all topped off with bright colors that pop on the shelves. A big thing the Funko MOTU knock off figures get wrong, in my opinion, is the modern dull colors. MOTU figures were always so vibrant they really stood out. Plus these are going to be sturdy. They wont break like the Funko or Super7 figures do if a kid tries to play with them.

With the movie coming in 2021 MOTU is going to again be a major focus for Mattel.
                    Last edited by Werewolf; Jul 18, '19, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                      Permanent Member
                      • May 15, 2009

Let's be honest, a MOTU movie is probably never happening, and whatever it ends up as, it won't look anything like this.

BUT, I think these will sell with kids. Bright, colorful, fun figures. Put the story on the back, boom, easy peasy. Collectors will like them too. MOTUC didn't have a lot of "kid appeal", but this does.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

I forgot to mention all the figures will come with new mini comics to introduce the characters to new collectors.

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Evil-lyn and Teela officially revealed. I'm loving these. That bight yellow on Evil-Lyn is perfect. Really makes her stand out.

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
                            Evil-lyn and Teela officially revealed. I'm loving these. That bight yellow on Evil-Lyn is perfect. Really makes her stand out.

https://toynewsi.com/241-33980
                            Agreed! She is BEAUTIFUL!

I'm not messing around with this line. I just bought two SDCC He-Man / Prince Adam sets.

Comment

• sprytel
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
                              I can see them selling to kids. MOTU has been toyetic kid friendly from the start. It was designed to be. A bit SW and Flash Gordon mixed with a little bit of Conan sword and sorcery mixed in with little bit of super hero wish fulfillment all topped off with bright colors that pop on the shelves. A big thing the Funko MOTU knock off figures get wrong, in my opinion, is the modern dull colors. MOTU figures were always so vibrant they really stood out. Plus these are going to be sturdy. They wont break like the Funko or Super7 figures do if a kid tries to play with them.

With the movie coming in 2021 MOTU is going to again be a major focus for Mattel.
                              I hope I'm wrong. I have a lot of love for MOTU. But kids don't really have any connection to those inspirations like Flash Gordon or Conan, so I'm not sure they are going to get where these are coming from. They certainly have a different concept of the "physical ideal" than we did back in the roided out '80s. I worry these will just seem kind of goofy under the nostalgia-free gaze of kids.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎