X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • great_chandel
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2, 2015

Caddyshack

In watching that film again, I had truly forgotten how great that film was. Bill Murray, Chevy Chase and Rodney Dangerfield were absolutely at the top of their game! Ted Knight was brilliant! The sequel, like many sequels, was just awful (Jackie Mason was not that good). However, what a timeless classic the original was! "The snobs vs the slobs." No tagline was ever more appropriate!
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Funny you bring up today.

Three years ago on this day, my family was homeless due to a bad real estate deal and I was living in a motel.

My best friend was out of town and he texted me where the key to his house was. While my family watched TV upstairs, I sat in his basement and looked through his DVDs, the only non horror movie he owned was caddy shack , so i put it on.

I needed Caddyshack that day, it was like an old friend and I killed myself laughing at every nuance. I think of that day a lot and my favourite part is the hat scene, Dangerfield and Knight are just wonderful in that.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I'm not much for "modern" comedies, except for some Mel Brooks. But I enjoy Caddyshack--I've been a Ted Knight fan since forever and he was the icing on the cake in this film.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Marvelmania
        A Ray of Sunshine
        • Jun 17, 2001

Love that movie! I haven't thought about in a long time until this thread. Now I'll have to watch it tonight.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

First time I ever seen Caddyshack was on HBO in the early 80's

We just installed HBO and that night they played a double feature of Caddyshack and Used Cars

That was one dang good double feature

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

BTW, I don't hate Caddyshack 2

The Dan Akeroid and "new generation" parts are embarrassingly bad, but I do like the Jackie Mason Robert Stack feud -- They play off each other well --- Almost as good as Rodney and Ted Knight.

Comment

• Brazoo
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 14, 2009

Ted Knight is the (somewhat) unsung hero of that movie for sure. I first saw it on VHS when I was 8 or 9, so I found it, uh, educational(?) and earth shatteringly funny. (My parents never censored any movie content from me and I've never been able to figure that out because it does not jibe with them in general.)

When I first saw it my favourite parts involved the gopher. In the doc "Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of the National Lampoon" it was claimed that the studio execs pushed for the gopher bits. Which makes a lot of sense. Also, I never knew it was deemed a semi-flop when it came out. Mainly in comparison to the success of Animal House. It's always been a classic to me.

I consider "Hey everybody, we're all gonna get laid!" as a major contender for the greatest last line of a movie.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Mikey
                BTW, I don't hate Caddyshack 2
                Unlike a lot of crap in the 1980s that would attach the name to a poorly made turd. Part 2 tries to recreate the magic, it's pretty much gone but there are a couple of easy laughs in there. Saw it in the theatre.

(My parents never censored any movie content from me and I've never been able to figure that out because it does not jibe with them in general.)
                THIS! My square dad took me to Cheech and Chong movies in the theater. I even remember as a kid thinking "who are you right now?"
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

My normally understanding wife HATES Caddyshack for some reason, and she can at least tolerate similar comedies. I can't understand it. I honestly think she just picked one movie for us to argue about.

It's a certified classic. I need to watch it again, very soon.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

One thing I never liked about Caddyshack was Bill Murray

Murray's character was funny (at times) but it was too over-the-top for the movie.

It's like having Curley Howard in an Abbott and Costello movie

Comment

• Makernaut
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Mikey
                      One thing I never liked about Caddyshack was Bill Murray
                      I don't believe I have ever seen that particular opinion expressed before.

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

I like Bill Murray, but he's not exactly the best actor out there …

He has like 2 characters in his acting repertoire and most of his rolls use one of them.

1. Cheeky smart aleck

2. mentally handicapped

Comment

• ODBJBG
                          Permanent Member
                          • May 15, 2009

I'd argue that Bill Murray is actually one of the better actors of the past 30 years. Especially his more dramatic stuff or things that are comedy but less "haha" type of funny and more intelligent humor.

That said, and this won't be a popular opinion, but I don't find Caddyshack all that funny. I feel it's aged pretty badly too. I love everyone involved and I do enjoy Ted Knight's bits and some of Rodney's schtick, but I feel like Rodney had better turns at doing this same bit. Chevy is basically doing his own movie and so is Murray. A lot of the behind the scenes stuff that has been revealed about this movie, IMO, is very evident on the screen. It just feels all over the place and misses more than it hits... To me.

There are definitely parts I like though. But not the whole movie.

Feels very much a product of it's era, one of those things that's good in a time capsule, but doesn't work anymore. But I dunno. Maybe I'd revisit it again and like it now, but I never was like totally wild for it but I revisited a few years ago thinking I'd really enjoy it, and it made me wonder why I ever liked it to begin with.

And there are plenty of other comedies from the same time period I still freakin' love. So I dunno.

Comment

• megomania
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jan 2, 2010

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                            I'd argue that Bill Murray is actually one of the better actors of the past 30 years. Especially his more dramatic stuff or things that are comedy but less "haha" type of funny and more intelligent humor.

That said, and this won't be a popular opinion, but I don't find Caddyshack all that funny. I feel it's aged pretty badly too. I love everyone involved and I do enjoy Ted Knight's bits and some of Rodney's schtick, but I feel like Rodney had better turns at doing this same bit. Chevy is basically doing his own movie and so is Murray. A lot of the behind the scenes stuff that has been revealed about this movie, IMO, is very evident on the screen. It just feels all over the place and misses more than it hits... To me.

There are definitely parts I like though. But not the whole movie.

Feels very much a product of it's era, one of those things that's good in a time capsule, but doesn't work anymore. But I dunno. Maybe I'd revisit it again and like it now, but I never was like totally wild for it but I revisited a few years ago thinking I'd really enjoy it, and it made me wonder why I ever liked it to begin with.

And there are plenty of other comedies from the same time period I still freakin' love. So I dunno.
                            I agree on both.

Murray in Meatballs, Life Aquatic, Scrooged, Rushmore, Man Who Knew Too Little, Groundhog Day, Quick Change are not slapstick but some of the best edgy comedic acting.

I tried to watch Caddyshack on a flight last year and couldn't even finish it - does not hold up well.

-Chris

-Chris

Comment

• TrekStar
                              Trek or Treat
                              • Jan 20, 2011

Great movie, can't believe it's gonna be 40 years next year, it's right up there with Slapshot.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎