X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Clear-coating factory produced heads?

Does anybody know what kind of clear paint will cure properly on Mego style heads? I have been having bad luck with painting the new Mego stuff. I've painted a couple of things that have stayed sticky. I painted a Jimi guitar and the paint won't cure, and it keeps getting stickier with time. The head isn't exactly like a Mego figures head, because it's not hollow. So it's probably more like the arms and legs of the Mego figures. I'm trying to paint a Ron Burgundy figure and need to clear-coat the head to seal the paint that I'm adding to his hair. I need to keep the skin color, and the mouth paint job. Otherwise, I'd just prime it with grey. So, does anybody know what, except for a 2k style automotive gloss, I'd be able to clear paint it with? Anchorman, Battle ready Ron! Getting a new hair do...
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

have you tried mod podge? its basically one step above white glue. fairly non reactive.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

I need something to spray in coats. I paint, let dry, and seal (with spray clear). I repeat that process to get big areas done, and then start doing the fine details. Brushing on glue will not work for me. I'd make a mess of garbage trying. I can paint really well, if I can do it the way I'm used to.

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

Did you try Dullcote?… I've used it in similar ways as you describe without the destructive qualities of most lacquers (on vinyl, plastic and resins). Yes it can damage acrylics but if used properly doesn't, and it's quite forgiving of haste.

Comment

• Treadwell
          Museum Super Collector
          • Dec 31, 2018

I used a clear gloss spraypaint from Ace Hardware recently that cured just fine on both head and body.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

I have to try Dullcote. It seems like it might work.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

Researching the Testors, I found out that what I already use might work. Maybe it's just the colored paints that don't adhere properly. I'll do some testing and see what I come up with. Thanks for the help!

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                Often invisible
                • Jul 18, 2002

Is your Testors acrylic or enamel? Enamel stays tacky on some plastics.
                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

I don't have any Testors. I was going to get some, but researched online, and found what I already have is great. I painted it over the sticky black paint on Jimi's guitar, and now it isn't sticky at all. That's kinda nice. So, I guess I should have just tested my clear, and not started this thread.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                    Moderation Engineer
                    • Aug 14, 2003

Naptha will sometimes take the tackiness out of cured paint without damaging it.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

I'm going to buy some naphtha today to try to shrink some heads.

Comment

• Type3Toys
                        Home Of The Type3 Body
                        • Jan 18, 2005

I use testors matte or gloss lacquer on painted resin heads. I have also tried it on original mego heads and although it dries fine, it developes an ashy look to it.
                        LOOK
                        Action Figure Design & Prototypes
                        For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
                        To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍