Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jade88
    • Aug 10, 2018

Where did the bronze tan go?

One of the thing I love about the vintage stuff, are not only the superior paint apps, but the bronze tan most figures have. Captain Kirk looked so much better especially.

I'm loving the new stuff ( don't get me wrong), but I miss the way the heads used to look.

Is this just me? Is it odd that the manufacturing of the 70s stuff looks superior?
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I agree, the paler tones seem standard now and are often a disservice to the sculpts.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ODBJBG
      Permanent Member
      • May 15, 2009

It's definitely missed on some figures. I feel like they're still finding their groove with that. It's odd how vastly different figures sometimes turn on.

It's certainly better than BBP's almost translucent pale skin tones.

Some of the vintage stuff was sharper overall, though. Yet some modern figures look better than vintage ones. It's crazy.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Emce Trek had some good tones, barring Scotty. BBP as you note and Matty Retro were very pale. FTC persists in using a pale tone that has a cool grayish cast to it that is pretty unappealing.

As far as vintage bronze goes, check out Matchbox/Lesney's Fighting Furies--they are burnt orange!
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I will give NuMego credit for doing something like Lugosi's Dracula, that seemed a good vampiric tone to me,

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

Yep. Then again, I miss the blue undies too.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

The Coppertone Tan hasn't been in fashion since the 70's...or since melanoma.
              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

My one complaint about Hot Toys figures is the skin tone is often too dark. My Adam West and Burt Ward are far more tan than they ever appeared on TV. So I don't really miss it on NEW characters, but it does seem odd on the Trek figures, etc.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Is the "bronze tan" a product of age ?

I kinda remember most Megos back in the day were lighter.

Now LJN's, I specifically remember them being orange even brand new.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                    Museum Paramedic
                    • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Mikey
                    Is the "bronze tan" a product of age ?

I kinda remember most Megos back in the day were lighter.

Now LJN's, I specifically remember them being orange even brand new.
                    That’s what I thought, as well. I feel like the vintage Mego Trek are tanner now.

- Ian
                    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

Might also be the type of plastic that was used back then.

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

^I have a feeling it's all about the vinyl in use.

From the variations of the original Supes to EMCE's indian-red Trek replica's to BBP almost translucent Lost line.

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

I do think the new figures are a bit too pale but at least, except for the Aragorn proto, they don't have that yellow-ish jaundice BBP color.
                          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• TrekStar
                            Trek or Treat
                            • Jan 20, 2011

I also liked the tan bronze early Mego vinyl heads, new Mego with the paleface looking heads are fine too, at least they won't
                            de-grey and I think Spock looks better with the pale face, since on the series he did have a more pale yellowish color
                            face.

Comment

• scott metzger
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 9, 2007

THe original Megos on type 1 bodies tended to be lighter skin tones. It was shortly after the switch to the type 2's that skin tone noticeably darkened, especially on the heads. I don't honestly recall seeing any type 2's at the time with the earlier, lighter tones. Both were richer than the current tone, though.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎