Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mego robot ape?

Mego robot ape?

I have a book about Japanese robots, mostly focusing on Chogokin between 1972-1982.

The cover features this striking robot ape toy.

What caught my eye, however, was this marking on the back...

Any ideas about Mego's involvement?

And yes, I know the cover is falling off, the glue was very weak when I bought the book.
    Looking for Iron Man Belt, Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Fever J, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman)

Oh this is interesting. I'm sure probably just made in a Mego controlled factory at the time. Does it list what the robot is anywhere in the book?

Yeah. I can get more info when I get home.
    Looking for Iron Man Belt, Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Fever J, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman)

Images

I have solved this mystery, for anyone curious.

Ark's series of six "Arklon" diecast monster toys represent a bunch of interchangable building toys/monsters. But all of the monsters are from Ultraman... Except one. Kong.

None of the figures are marked Mego. Except one. Kong.

Ark worked with Bullmark and Takara on these figures, and Mego. Since Mego held the King Kong license at this time.

This is not a generic Mecha-Gorilla (though it was sold as such in some markets) it is in fact, King Kong.

This is a Mego King Kong toy.

Pretty sweet.

Awesome! Where did you find the info?

Well some of it was from just general deduction. I immediately recognized the Ultraman villains. Then I researched photos of the others and noticed none of them had the Mego logo.

Then it was sort of connecting the dots that perhaps this tied into Mego's King Kong toys.

But then I found a treasure trove of info to confirm this over at: http://www.toyboxdx.com/datafiles/data/ark/

They have some great info on the entire history of the toy, variations and even variants of some of the figures.

Really cool stuff, as I wasn't aware of this existing at all. I know Marty was recently talking a lot about his work with Takara and some of the other Japanese toy makers, so this is just another piece of that. Largely to my knowledge, not talked about or known. Really cool find by you.

Awesome!

Couple of cool photos to confirm that this is indeed Kong.

Note that the key chain that comes with the figure says KING KONG on it, as does the paper planes that he "fights" and it uses Mego Kong artwork on the box.

s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg