Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mego robot ape?

Man, I'm glad I made this post. Learned more than I could ever hope! Thanks ODBJBG!
    Looking for Iron Man Belt, Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Fever J, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman)

Haha, I am glad you did too! Seriously. Rare to find. I was completely unaware of this and it ticks a lot of boxes of things I like, Japanese toys, robots. King Kong, Ultraman, Mego, partnerships between toy companies, etc. Was fun to kind of dive in a research things. Super cool stuff all around.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Awesome stuff.

Ark Kong is one of my all time favorite toys.

I have a boxed American version, so no ball & chain for me, other than the one in the other room watching T.V. Both "Mego" and the copyright information have been scraped off mine. The Ark logo is under the feet.

The Ark line is chock full o' diecast, loaded with eye-poking projectiles and fully interchangeable.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Images
    Those are unbelievably cool!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ODBJBG View Post
    I have solved this mystery, for anyone curious.

Ark's series of six "Arklon" diecast monster toys represent a bunch of interchangable building toys/monsters. But all of the monsters are from Ultraman... Except one. Kong.

None of the figures are marked Mego. Except one. Kong.

Ark worked with Bullmark and Takara on these figures, and Mego. Since Mego held the King Kong license at this time.

This is not a generic Mecha-Gorilla (though it was sold as such in some markets) it is in fact, King Kong.

This is a Mego King Kong toy.

Pretty sweet.

Sorry, I'm late to the party, but this is correct. Mego held the master license for the 1976 Kong film and any Kong items that were released in Japan during this period by various companies like Ark (diecast Arklon Kong), Bullmark (vinyl figure, walker and disc shooting figure) and Onda (vinyl figure holding car) were sub-licensed through Mego and therefore include "Mego" on the toy markings. I'm still looking for a few of these items as well, but a lot of them are RARE.
    Last edited by cjefferys; Jul 19, '19 at 11:07 PM.