X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Vintage Mego ad in Giant Size X-Men #1 Facsimile edition

As part of Marvel's 80th anniversary edition, they are releasing a number of facsimile editions of key issues, one of those that is out this month is a facsimile of Giant Size X-Men #1, complete with all the ads from its original release, including this vintage Mego ad...

more on this issue and all its vintage ads here: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/07...imile-edition/

-M
    Last edited by MRP; Jul 16, '19, 1:06 AM.
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • warlock664
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 15, 2009

As a 5th grader who saw this ad for the first time in CAPTAIN AMERICA & THE FALCON, I can’t express to you how excited it made me! A Falcon to go with Cap! The Hulk! My all-time absolute favorite villain, the Green Goblin (even though the original Gobby died in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #122, his son had taken over the family business in #136!).
    I eventually got all 3 for Christmas later that year.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by MRP
      As part of Marvel's 80th anniversary edition, they are releasing a number of facsimile editions of key issues, one of those that is out this month is a facsimile of Giant Size X-Men #1, complete with all the ads from its original release, including this vintage Mego ad...

more on this issue and all its vintage ads here: https://mlpnk72yciwc.i.optimole.com/...7/gsxm1-6.jpeg

-M
      Your link just goes to the picture of the ad.

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
        Your link just goes to the picture of the ad.
        Sorry. Should be fixed. I thought I had copied the article URL, but it must have been the pic link still.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• tllgn
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 6, 2010

I remember I picked up a fantastic four comic in 1974 and saw that ad.wow.i wanted them bad..I was surprised when they showed up at stores and that Ironman was there too.cool.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Thanks for fixing the link!

Comment

• Timothy2251
              Jerks beef with Ten Bears
              • Mar 15, 2008

My brother and I had just gotten a pile of comics from my dad, and we were hanging out in my brother's room. He's talking to me, reading a Hulk comic (his favorite), while I'm engrossed in a Spider-Man comic.

"Y'know what I wish, Tim? I wish Mego made a Hulk figure for... OH MY GOD!!!!! Hulk figure!!!!! MOM!! DAD!!!!!"

Within in a week (!) we had all of 'em but Falcon, who each of us got about a month later.

My brother had this uncanny knack for predicting new Mego figures by going "You know what I wish?" Thanks to that we got the Fantastic Four, Iron Man, etc. OK, Conan came out of left field, but he HAD to have a Conan.
              "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

The first one I saw from the ad was the Hulk, in 1979. I was too old for action figures that year, and didn't get him. I never saw the others until I was in my twenties. I wish I could have found them when I was a kid. I really pined for those figures, for years.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                  Permanent Member
                  • Sep 15, 2014

I had the marvel masterwork reprint of GS X-Men #1. This ad was also in there.

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

I'm curious to know if anyone here actually bought Mego figures from the comic book advertisement, cut and mailed it in
                    with check or M.O.? our parents had to do it of course, or did you get most of your megos from the stores or as gifts
                    bought from the store?

I remember the adds for the figures, but never got any thru the mail order, all my megos were bought from the stores
                    since the toy stores or dept store toy sections had what I wanted.

Comment

• DaniellePlaysWithToys
                      Youngest Mego Fan
                      • Aug 30, 2019

Hnnnnnnng, Falcon.
                      FTC apologist, Hawkman stan, and Cybatom shipper.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
                        Career Member
                        • Jul 23, 2019

I tried to do this when I was a kid. I filled out the order form for a Thing Mego figure, but never cut it out and mailed it away because, after filling it out, I realized exactly how old the comic I had was and how the Mego ad was outdated. Luckily, years later, I was able to get the Thing off eBay.
                        "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎