X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

How come?

Why does Mattel get to do a Barbie David Bowie but Mego was turned down? Yeah,I know. It's Mattel and Barbie. I just don't think it's fair.
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

Agreed. It probably came down to money, or license availability. Perhaps another company has the rights, or, if the rights were available, the price was more than Mego could devote at this time.
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Barbie is a pop culture icon herself. Plus the Barbie is $50 and squarely aimed at the adult collector market. It's not a play line level price point impulse purchase.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

I think it has more to do with the fact that it's Barbie dressed as Ziggy Stardust and not an actual doll of David Bowie. I don't think there has ever been a licensed doll or statue of Bowie and I bet that has to do with Bowie not wanting dolls made of himself. The only ones I've ever seen are of his character in Labyrinth.

The Beatles are the same way. The last set of Beatles figures that had the likenesses of the members was released by Hamilton in 1991 (I believe anyway, please correct me if I'm wrong). All the figures after that were cartoon versions.
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎