Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toy-Ventures: Torpedo Fist from Big Jim's Wolfpack!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures: Torpedo Fist from Big Jim's Wolfpack!

Our focus this week is one of the top agents in the Professional Agents Crime Killers (or P.A.C.K) , the amazing Torpedo Fist.

We talk about the evolution of Mattel's Big Jim, the birth of the PACK, Jack Kirby, the launch of "Double Trouble", Torpedo Fist's origin story and even touch how the character ended up on the Masters of the Universe (sorta kinda?) .

It's a jam-packed Toy-Ventures and one I'm certain you'll enjoy!

Hosted and edited by Brian Heiler (@plaidstallions)

TONS of Big JIm catalogs available to peruse over at
    www.plaidstallions.com

PlaidStallions Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/Plaidstallionsdotcom/

Plaidstallions facebook group
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2226244254053126/

Twitter: @plaidstallions

Subscribe to our Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwYta3nz_7FAzPvP8FPSgpg?view_as=subscriberFor more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

That was a wonderful vid. I can really hear your love and passion for the line.

I have to admit Big Jim totally flew under my radar as a child but I have grown to appreciate it over the years do to its links to both Barbie and MOTU. Plus on its own it's just a really clever toy line. The Big Jim sports stuff still doesn't really interest me but I'd be totally on board if Mattel ever brought pack the P.A.C.K. along with the all the groovy spy and space stuff.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, I feel like I really missed out on Big Jim, especially the P.A.C.K. I was just a few years late. I was thinking "I never realized this was so similar to M.A.S.K.", and then you made the comparison.

That prototype figure is fascinating! And all the variations, and figures based on the action feature. Great video!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

I really appreciate the videos for lines I didn't really connect with as a kid. They're always super-interesting and informative. And they help me appreciate and connect with with their oh-so-70's-ness. Big Jim was just drenched in 70's milieu. I could absolutely see Jim popping up in a guest role as one of Mary's boyfriends on the Mary Tyler Moore show. The transition to PACK followed the super-hero popularity wave. I wonder if the line had survived if it would have taken on space adventure personas.
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Great video, I'm a great Big Jim fan. I don't have any PACK yet, though as a a kid I coveted Dr. Steel, Torpedo Fist, and Zorak.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• scott metzger
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by Wee67
            I really appreciate the videos for lines I didn't really connect with as a kid. They're always super-interesting and informative. And they help me appreciate and connect with with their oh-so-70's-ness. Big Jim was just drenched in 70's milieu. I could absolutely see Jim popping up in a guest role as one of Mary's boyfriends on the Mary Tyler Moore show. The transition to PACK followed the super-hero popularity wave. I wonder if the line had survived if it would have taken on space adventure personas.
            It did. And spy stuff. THe line continued for a good while overseas with both those themes. And the Maxx Steel of the 90's had an Easter egg in it: "Big Jim" McGrath was his father, and it was supposed to be the same Big Jim.

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by scott metzger
              It did. And spy stuff. THe line continued for a good while overseas with both those themes. And the Maxx Steel of the 90's had an Easter egg in it: "Big Jim" McGrath was his father, and it was supposed to be the same Big Jim.
              So cool! Thanks for even more info.
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• toyhunter1970
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 24, 2020

what a great video

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡