X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SeattleEd
    SynthoRes Transmigrator
    • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
    I didn't look through your records. That's really cool. I have heard some great live Zeppelin, but not much. Most was bad.
    I should have added this link that tells the significance of PB. A holy grail for Zeppelin fans.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

My money is on Zeppelin in a fist fight.
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
        My money is on Zeppelin in a fist fight.
        Queen destroys them in a college exam though...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by SeattleEd
          Lonnie, did you see my LZ boots at the Vancouver Toy show? I had a copy of PB and Mudslide multi color on Wizardo. All original. The early live shows and BBC are phenomenal so they can play amazing live shows. Traveling Riverside Blues was recorded live in studio for BBC. That is the only take and was released. I think they are a great live band.

Hec, I'm a huge Zep fan and have to say that Queen reigned over S
          Zep but Zep has more than made up for it in spades. The O2 reunion was mind blowing, plus they had a Bonham carrying the rhythm, not Collins and Thompson.
          Never saw Led Zep live unfortunately (my buddies and I were set to watch them, but Bonham died). Saw Queen three times...with Mercury of course, not Lambert.
          sigpic

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by SeattleEd
            I should have added this link that tells the significance of PB. A holy grail for Zeppelin fans.
            http://www.oldbuckeye.com/prox/vancouverboot.html
            Um, wow... I never knew. Wish I could have at least heard it.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Hector
              Queen destroys them in a college exam though...

Some people are smart at punching.

Comment

• Type3Toys
                Home Of The Type3 Body
                • Jan 18, 2005

I always thought U2 really owned the audience.
                LOOK
                Action Figure Design & Prototypes
                For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
                To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Some people are smart at punching.
                  Now that I think about it...I’m not so sure Led Zep Beats Queen in a fight.

Bonham does beat Taylor...as Bonham was crazy (not Keith Moon crazy, but crazy enough), lol.

While you might scoff at this...Freddie had boxing experience...but Plant is bigger, so it’s even there.

Jones vs Deacon...well, Deacon is the youngest of them all...I’ll give it to Deacon.

So the score is now Led Zep 1, Queen, 1...both with a draw.

The tiebreaker...May towers over wimpy Page...plus his brain is so much more advanced, that he will device a black hole...and not only have Page sucked in...but the rest of Led Zep too...

Last edited by Hector; Jul 17, '19, 1:09 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                    Often invisible
                    • Jul 18, 2002

I’m putting Bonham against May right away. No way am I having singer vs singer, drummer vs drummer, etc!

I think Bonhams crazy might cancel out Mays intelligence. I’m thinking kind of like a Joker vs. Batman vibe.

Plus Jimmy Page has black magick on his side.

This should really be a comic book or something, now that I think about it....

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

I’m putting Bonham against May right away. No way am I having singer vs singer, drummer vs drummer, etc!

I think Bonhams crazy might cancel out Mays intelligence. I’m thinking kind of like a Joker vs. Batman vibe.

Plus Jimmy Page has black magick on his side.

This should really be a comic book or something, now that I think about it....
                      Page, black magic...brilliant, lol...

This is fun!

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

John Bonham has been reincarnated as an 8 year old Japanese girl...

What an amazing little kid!

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Wait, now it’s Roger Taylor’s turn...

sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

Hector, that's assuming a sober Plant in the Mercury/ Plant bout right? Freddie could be smart about it and get him plastered first.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Freddie one punches every member of Zep. Doesn't even break a sweat. No contest.
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                                Career Member
                                • Jun 8, 2015

Queen stole the show that day from everyone. So Zep wasn't even in the running.

but what came AFTERWARDS was very interesting...

What’s the real story about the secret rehearsals you, Page and John Paul Jones reportedly held with drummer Tony Thompson after Live Aid? How far did you really get in forming a new Led Zeppelin?
                                We had a week together with Tony Thompson. This was the following January, ’86. The guy who’s now my tour manager was brought in to look after the drums, to help Tony Thompson leave Heathrow Airport and travel to this secret destination.

Where was this secret destination?
                                Isn’t it crazy? “Secret destination.” It was just off the motorway near Peter Gabriel’s house in Bath. We took a village hall, filled it with parachutes to take all the angles and corners off the room and set up the equipment. Pagey duly arrived, and we plugged in. But as much as he wanted to do it, it wasn’t the time for Pagey to do that. He had just finished the second Firm album, and I think he was a bit confused about what he was doing.

And the interesting thing is that after seven years of being without him and fending for myself, I’m a lot more forthright. When I reach a conclusion, I immediately react to it. Way back in the old days, this might have taken a week of mutual discussion. One person couldn’t make the decision for four people.

Did you have serious, or at least cautious, hopes about what you could accomplish?
                                Yeah, I think so. But it wasn’t to be. There was this little club we used to go to in this little town. Tony was a celebrity because he had played on Belouis Some’s hit record. So he was invited to parties and stuff; we were, too, because we’d been famous once. Jonesy and I often chose to walk back to the place we were staying, at two in the morning. Pagey wouldn’t come out, which is hardly the way to get everything back together again.

Meanwhile, Tony became a celebrity and was metaphorically earned around on everybody’s shoulders. He ended up in one of these small minicars with five other people. They took a corner too fast and ended up in somebody’s basement, went off the road, through some iron railings and down a few steps.

So I was called at five o’clock in the morning by the Bath Royal Infirmary by a rather short-tempered matron saying, “We have your Mr. Thompson here. He states you, Mr. Plant, as next or kin.” I said, “But you can’t do that. He’s black!”

So after arguing about him having African descent, I went there, and Tony was lying in the hospital going, “Oh, man, oh, man.” So that was the end of him.

Did the band actually get any playing done?
                                Yeah, we did about two days.

What did you play? Did you have any new material to start off with?
                                No, nothing. It was the most bristlingly embarrassing moment, to have all that will and not knowing what to play. Jonesy played keyboards, I played bass a bit.

It sounded kind of like David Byrne meets Hüsker Dü, I guess, sounding good and quite odd, because of Jonesy’s tendency to play these jolly rollicking keyboards, Jimmy cutting right across the whole thing with these searing, soaring chord mechanisms and me plotting the routes on the bass. It was pretty good. And there were two or three things that were very promising.

Then Tony left the road with his merry band. One of the roadies, who is now my tour manager, played drums. He was quite good too, but the whole thing dematerialized. Jimmy had to change the battery on his wah-wah pedal every one and a half songs. And I said, “I’m going home.” Jonesy said, “Why?” “Because I can’t put up with this.” “But you lived with it before.” I said, “Look, man, I don’t need the money. “I’m off.” For it to succeed in Bath, I would have had to have been far more patient than I have been for years.

if only MAGUS had it together, it would have flown!! Saw Tony years later with Paul Rodger (Reeves Gabrel & Tony Franklin) at Buddy Guy's club and he was incredible!!!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎