• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Live Aid. Queen vs Led Zeppelin

My two top favorite bands.

Both participated simultaneously across the globe via the largest-scale satellite link-ups and television broadcast at the time; an estimated audience of 1.9 billion, across 150 nations, watched the live broadcast, nearly 40% of the world population.

Queen played at Wembley Stadium. Led Zeppelin played at JFK Stadium.

That’s were the similarities end.

Queen’s Live Aid concert has been praised as one of the best (if not the best) live concert performance of all times. Freddie Mercury was at top of his game, owning the audience. The rest of Queen played crisp and clean, great show.

Led Zeppelin on the other hand were horrid. Critics and even fans call it by far their worst performance ever...and the worst of any Live Aid act. Robert Plant’s voice was hoarse and off key. Jimmy Page looked drunk or high...and guest drummer Phil Collins was drumming to his own tune (to Page’s chagrin, but he shouldn’t talk).
    Last edited by Hector; Jul 11, '19, 7:15 PM.
    sigpic
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

The Good...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

The Bad and The Ugly...

sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Umm, let me think about this. On one hand there is Queen and you know Queen is awesome. Then there is Led Zep, which I've never been, honestly, a huge fan of, and add to that Phil Collins, which I really can do without. Yeah, I am going to have to go with Queen on this.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

I was so excited to see Led Zeppelin live. They were, and still are, one of favorite bands. I just assumed I would never see them live and now, here I was, having shelled out the exorbitant price of $35 for a ticket and I was going to see Led Zeppelin live.

They sucked.

Queen wins.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Marvelmania
            A Ray of Sunshine
            • Jun 17, 2001

Queen hands down. Really I don't know many bands that could go up against Queen and win.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

I've had a lot of Zeppelin bootlegs, and live they aren't that good. Studio is where they sounded best. Queen always sounds great live. That's just how they were. Really a shame, because I really love Led Zeppelin.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

...and by no means I started this thread to bash Led Zeppelin...I love them...as I said, top two on my list...

...but even Robert Plant admitted they were awful. Jimmy Page disapproval of Phil Collins was another indication. It was also their first concert since John Bonham’s death...so obviously they looked like they didn’t rehearsed much and were unprepared.
                sigpic

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 13, 2009

Here's an interesting read on the Led Zeppelin show:

I’ve tended to avoid reunion shows from my favorite bands of old, and I’ve missed some great performances because of it, I’m told, and also a few clunkers and forgettable nostalgia trips.

Apparently, they all knew it was a disaster during the show. Phil Collins said he was mimicking Tony Thompson because he wasn't aware they were going with a two-drummer lineup. He said he almost walked off the stage mid-set.

If they had been smart, they'd have picked a drummer who's Bonham-esque. Sounds silly, but someone like Frankie Banali would have been a much better choice, and he was on top of his game in 1985. Just look at their other reunion shows with Bonham's son. Much tighter.
                  Last edited by cockyhoskins; Jul 12, '19, 2:59 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Even as a 10 year old kid, I knew Queen destroyed EVERYONE else at Live Aid.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 13, 2009

Yeah, it's weird with the new Queen movie because now everyone remembers the epic-ness of Queen's performance.

At least once a year, I pull it out for a viewing. I spend hours watching vintage performances, and Queen's Live Aid show was always one of my favorites.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^It was one of those case where I didn't know anyone else felt that way. I just remembered Live Aid best by how Freddie just commanded that entire arena. Years later, I learned it was consensus that they did indeed blow everyone else away.

It was like when I figured out other people liked Evil Dead 2. I thought me and my friends were the only ones who had ever seen it!

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Queen owned the day. I love this bit from the movie U2 coming off the stage and Freddie going on. Problem was Dire Straits performed in between those two bands.

You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• SeattleEd
                            SynthoRes Transmigrator
                            • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                            I've had a lot of Zeppelin bootlegs, and live they aren't that good. Studio is where they sounded best. Queen always sounds great live. That's just how they were. Really a shame, because I really love Led Zeppelin.
                            Lonnie, did you see my LZ boots at the Vancouver Toy show? I had a copy of PB and Mudslide multi color on Wizardo. All original. The early live shows and BBC are phenomenal so they can play amazing live shows. Traveling Riverside Blues was recorded live in studio for BBC. That is the only take and was released. I think they are a great live band.

Hec, I'm a huge Zep fan and have to say that Queen reigned over S
                            Zep but Zep has more than made up for it in spades. The O2 reunion was mind blowing, plus they had a Bonham carrying the rhythm, not Collins and Thompson.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Jan 19, 2008

I didn't look through your records. That's really cool. I have heard some great live Zeppelin, but not much. Most was bad.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎