Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Live Aid. Queen vs Led Zeppelin

Live Aid. Queen vs Led Zeppelin

My two top favorite bands.

Both participated simultaneously across the globe via the largest-scale satellite link-ups and television broadcast at the time; an estimated audience of 1.9 billion, across 150 nations, watched the live broadcast, nearly 40% of the world population.

Queen played at Wembley Stadium. Led Zeppelin played at JFK Stadium.

That’s were the similarities end.

Queen’s Live Aid concert has been praised as one of the best (if not the best) live concert performance of all times. Freddie Mercury was at top of his game, owning the audience. The rest of Queen played crisp and clean, great show.

Led Zeppelin on the other hand were horrid. Critics and even fans call it by far their worst performance ever...and the worst of any Live Aid act. Robert Plant’s voice was hoarse and off key. Jimmy Page looked drunk or high...and guest drummer Phil Collins was drumming to his own tune (to Page’s chagrin, but he shouldn’t talk).
    Last edited by Hector; Jul 11, '19 at 7:15 PM.

The Good...

The Bad and The Ugly...

Images
    Umm, let me think about this. On one hand there is Queen and you know Queen is awesome. Then there is Led Zep, which I've never been, honestly, a huge fan of, and add to that Phil Collins, which I really can do without. Yeah, I am going to have to go with Queen on this.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    I was so excited to see Led Zeppelin live. They were, and still are, one of favorite bands. I just assumed I would never see them live and now, here I was, having shelled out the exorbitant price of $35 for a ticket and I was going to see Led Zeppelin live.

They sucked.

Queen wins.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Images
    Queen hands down. Really I don't know many bands that could go up against Queen and win.

I've had a lot of Zeppelin bootlegs, and live they aren't that good. Studio is where they sounded best. Queen always sounds great live. That's just how they were. Really a shame, because I really love Led Zeppelin.

...and by no means I started this thread to bash Led Zeppelin...I love them...as I said, top two on my list...

...but even Robert Plant admitted they were awful. Jimmy Page disapproval of Phil Collins was another indication. It was also their first concert since John Bonhamís death...so obviously they looked like they didnít rehearsed much and were unprepared.

Here's an interesting read on the Led Zeppelin show:

http://www.openculture.com/2018/09/l...-aid-1985.html

Apparently, they all knew it was a disaster during the show. Phil Collins said he was mimicking Tony Thompson because he wasn't aware they were going with a two-drummer lineup. He said he almost walked off the stage mid-set.

If they had been smart, they'd have picked a drummer who's Bonham-esque. Sounds silly, but someone like Frankie Banali would have been a much better choice, and he was on top of his game in 1985. Just look at their other reunion shows with Bonham's son. Much tighter.
    Last edited by cockyhoskins; Jul 12, '19 at 2:59 PM.

Images
    Even as a 10 year old kid, I knew Queen destroyed EVERYONE else at Live Aid.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif