X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SeattleEd
    SynthoRes Transmigrator
    • Oct 24, 2007

Acquired one of my holy trails: Latrax RC Ford Mustang II Cobra

Been hunting for a Latrax Mustang II Cobra RC in black and white in complete condition for a long time. Not many RC toy shows in my area so it took a long time to find one. A collector recently posted a bunch of them on eBay for sale so as soon as I saw it I hit the BIN.
    The reason for it bring a holy trail of mine is that my older brother got one for his 10th birthday at Don's Toys and Hobbies in the Glendale Galleria in Glendale, California back in September of 1978. He had a choice of that or a Star Wars Death Star playset. I was so jealous and he played with that car for a couple years before crashing it and outgrowing it. And the reason why he selected this model is that he loved Charlie' s Angels and our uncle drove a Mustang II Cobra in the exact colorway scheme. (Yes the car is a joke to Mustang enthusiasts so please no bashing)
    So some of you might know this story but I've been collecting toys that remind me of my brother and our youth together. You see, when my brother was 12 he suffered a faint spell that left him in a coma die to having an AVM, or Arteriovenous malformation, which we did not know at the time. He was fortunate to come out of his coma and through breakthrough treatment at the time was given another 10 years of life before passing away at 22.
    It was tough seeing my older brother whom reminded me of Superman but built like a linebacker become weak and delicate. I felt I was robbed of my proper youth with my brother. He took care of me and looked out after me. After the treatment we could no longer do the fun things siblings do like roller coasters, swim, skateboard and bike ride to the parks, play baseball and football all of which we did with our friends. Even after 30 years I miss and want to surround myself with things that remind me of the times we were happy and carefree. This was one toy he loved so it means a lot to me.

• LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Glad you could finally score one!

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

Very cool pick up, reminds me of the one on Charlies Angels, the one Kris drove.

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

**respect** Congrats Ed!

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

Glad you were able to get it, Ed! Happier that you’re able to keep your brother close with these memories.

- Ian
          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• neogelion
            Museum Patron
            • Mar 11, 2009

I remember those being in the glass case near the registers at K&K Toys.
            Zombie? Vampire? Evil clown?!? Yes, please.

Comment

• shazam7208
              Career Member
              • Oct 28, 2008

Sweet!

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

Glad you you were finally able to bring this one back home. I hope it helps you celebrate the great memories you have of your brother.
                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                  SynthoRes Transmigrator
                  • Oct 24, 2007

Thanks everyone!! When I opened up the shipping box it brought a sense of joy and a flood of memories. Why I love collecting. Now, do I play with it because it appears as if it hasn't been on the road.

Comment

• J.B.
                    Guild Navigator
                    • Jun 23, 2010

Congrats and yes, you play with it.
                    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                      Permanent Member
                      • Sep 15, 2014

Very cool item and back story. Collecting should bring us back to our happy place.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎