Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toy-Ventures: Planet of the Apes Adventure Set by Amsco Video thumbnail: Toy-Ventu

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures: Planet of the Apes Adventure Set by Amsco Video thumbnail: Toy-Ventu

Our focus this week is the incredible Planet of the Apes Adventure Playset by Amsco (A division of Milton Bradley) and these awesome 3D environments are entirely made of corrugated cardboard and hours of fun.

The folks at Amsco clearly had a lot of fun designing these because they are loaded with Easter eggs and nods to both the movies and the television series, it's one of the coolest Apes toys ever made!

PlaidStallions Facebook Page

Plaidstallions facebook group
    The official discussion group for the Pod Stallions podcast and the Plaid Stallions website. Group Rules- Pretty much anything that we discuss in the show is up for grabs, 70s fashion, toys,...

Twitter: @plaidstallions

Subscribe to our Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwY..._as=subscriberFor more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

These types of sets do take me back in time. It feels like there were many like these in my early childhood.

Of these Amsco sets, I’d choose the Marvel set, though the POTA set is also swell.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

That absolutely HAD to be designed by a huge Apes fan. To put in nods to a movie and several specific episodes of the TV show... just wow! And BTW, I think the female ape figure might be from an episode I just watched where where Galen reaches out to an old flame for help after Virdon is seriouly injured. I could swear she had on that exact outfit at one point.

And yeah, Marvel for me.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• newlyknighted
        Persistent Member
        • Feb 21, 2010

This is a beautiful set, and I would like to own one. How big is it?
        In a perfect world, I would like to imagine a Star Trek set could have been produced with similiar loving details, featuring a Gorn and ripped shirt Kirk, Klingon Space battle, Scotty, Uhura, and Lt. Leslie on the bridge, sickbay stocked saurian brandy, McCoy arguing with Spock, Pikeand Vina with Rigel VII Kaylar warrior, and transporter room with "Evil Kirk" frozen Sulu, and alien dog.
        I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Great video! I THINK I had the Marvel World set, but I had it so young, I don't really recall. I had remnants of cardboard figures that probably came from some set, and I also had the later Marvel Super Heroes game, but I had two of some of the characters.

Either way, these sets are fantastic, and I love the deep dive each of them took. Thanks for sharing!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Ranger 3
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 25, 2007

I do not collect POTApes (I was just young enough to miss Ape-fever), but I love this playset! Goes to show how cool toys were back then. Can you imagine if this playset were scaled up for the Mego POTA figures??

M

Comment

• LordMudd
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 22, 2011

It looks good with the new Super 7 Apes line too.

CCC.

Comment

• Confessional
                Maker & Whatnot
                • Aug 8, 2012

The vignette 360 design of this thing is just brilliant… must have for all Apes collectors. Busting it free from a sealed box and assembling it a few years ago was simiotastic-magic. Now I rotate it in a special spot in my studio with the Mego Fortress and Super7's Lady Liberty playset; all similar in footprint.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jun 29, 2018

I need to find the printout of the Icarus I have. I finally have the stuff to make one mego scale. With booster rockets.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎