• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

So Long, Alfred E Neuman

Mad Magazine is no more.

Well, it will still be published but only using old material. No new content will be created so I see this as the end of the magazine's 67-year run. The August edition will be the last issue with new material the last to be sold at newsstands. You will only be able to get the "new" issues by subscription or at your LCS.

I used to love reading Mad back in the day. I loved Spy vs Spy, Sergio Aragones' little pictures along the frames, Jack Davis' artwork, the tri-fold back cover... so much goodness.

Once a cultural touchstone, Mad Magazine is halting the publication of new content and vanishing from newsstands.

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • Marvelmania
    A Ray of Sunshine
    • Jun 17, 2001

Loved Mad, especially Don Martin

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Like everyone, I'm sad to see it go. Although I haven't bought many issues lately, it was always fun to see the latest covers and thumb though one at the grocery store. I suppose I'm guilty as everyone for not supporting them with my dollar as an adult.

I think MAD was pretty much killed by the internet meme.

And yet, Saturday Night Live still finds an audience in the age of funny YouTube videos.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I didn't buy it much, save for the issue that featured Rack Toys but I did thumb through it and find it still on point.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• B-Lister
          Eccentric Weirdo
          • Mar 19, 2010

Al Jaffee is one of the best cartoonists.
          Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Confessional
            Maker & Whatnot
            • Aug 8, 2012

I received a gift subscription last year that recently expired… definitely still a good read, timely satire, and with excellent artists. Another loss of the times… sometimes I think no one under 30? reads magazines, but then I visit Barnes & Noble seeing in fact that they do… they just *read* them (on location, lounging all over the store), but don't buy them. Free-like-music-mentality I suppose.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

And the world becomes a little less joyful...

Comment

• Spawn67
                Career Member
                • Aug 14, 2009

Yea I haven't looked at it in years but throughout the 70's and 80's it was a huge part of who I am today because my sense of humor, wit, and sarcasm all derive from reading endless amounts of mad magazine.

Comment

• Brazoo
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by B-Lister
                  Al Jaffee is one of the best cartoonists.
                  98 years old and still doing the fold-in. For me, the only silver-lining in this is that Jaffee will outlive MAD.

Comment

• Makernaut
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2015

I am saddened by this, but MAD has been impossible for me to find on the rack for yeeeeaaaarrrsss. I bet it was 2012 or 2013 since I saw it on a magazine rack. I've been mourning it that long.

Luckily, I scored a DVD-ROM in 2005(?)-ish with every issue up to that point, so I have 50-something years of MAD to keep me entertained.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

Sad news. Loved Mad. Pretty much all my favourite print-media magazines are gone now.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎