Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Oh, and when I was 17, I spent a summer as a contract killer. Don't worry, I only accepted contracts for really bad people. Ultimately, I had to fake my own death to finally get out of that game. I had to use the exit strategy to leave my Sesame Place gig.
    Last edited by Wee67; Jul 4, '19, 9:41 PM.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

I baled hay, mowed yards, and worked on a tomato farm when I was younger. I started washing dishes at 15 at a Ponderosa. That was my main job for about two years, then I worked at a couple different auto dealerships washing cars and doing small jobs.

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

For several years before I turned 16, I worked (literally under-the-table) cleaning a bar… routinely found money, drugs and other curiosities which kept an otherwise dirty job, interesting.

From 16 to 20, I evolved from dishwasher to head cook at a 24-hour restaurant to put my self through school. I think I mentioned this before… it was a wild adventure with ex-cons, thieves, gang members, and host of both sweet and unstable folks. True life experiences are found and character is tested when cooking 50 checks at 2:30 am when the bars close.

I have a friend who's had hundreds of (often really bizarre) jobs in his life. I've asked him to write them all down chronologically so that I can write a NYT bestseller about him, but he won't do it.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Mowed yards until I was 15,and also loaded hay bails on trucks and flatbeds for a summer, and stripped tobacco in the winter. Then I got a job at the drugstore up the street from me. Worked there all year long until I took a job at Walmart as a stockman when I was 16 and kept that for several years until I graduated. Worked at the same factory as my Dad for two summers in college (made enough money to fun my running all year long at school), then got a job at the local comic shop near campus before getting my first graphic design job upon graduation.
          sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

One of my nephews had a really cool summer job …

He was the Chef's helper at the Stanhope House (popular NJ rock/blues nightclub)

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

Helped as a sound assistant for an adult movie company, towel boy for the women's prison softball team, worked part time at the playboy mansion swimming pool and sauna.....then the alarm clock went off and went to work washing dishes, bussing tables and bagging groceries, and oh yeah, fetching shopping carriages in windy parking lot.

Comment

• Marvelmania
                A Ray of Sunshine
                • Jun 17, 2001

Comment

• Timothy2251
                  Jerks beef with Ten Bears
                  • Mar 15, 2008

Originally posted by Mikey
                  You sure you didn't work at Action Park ?
                  Ha! That might've been a step up. Least I wouldn't have had to fight hand-to-hand with an angry monkey like I did at Six Flags.
                  "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• Brue
                    User without title
                    • Sep 29, 2005

Had some odd jobs in middle school. High school and beyond I lifeguarded and taught swimming.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

The jobs I held down in my 20's were more interesting, stints at Universal Studios, cashier at various adult book stores, and painting house exteriors on a very, very tall ladder. But almost right after I turned 30 I stumbled into the profession I'm still in today (not sure if that's a good thing though!)

Comment

• J.B.
                        Guild Navigator
                        • Jun 23, 2010

My best friend's Dad bought a Fish n' Chips place when we were in High School. He left us unattended for the first Summer. We played the hell out of the two arcade games there: Asteroids & Star Castle. He sold the place the following Summer.
                        You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 12, 2004

I worked in my family's furniture & Appliance store. Loading and Unloading trucks, making deliveries, and arranging furniture on the show room floor.
                          Last edited by GlobalObserver; Jul 10, '19, 4:22 PM.

Comment

• apenutncc1701
                            • Aug 9, 2009

Summer of 1978 I was 12 and worked at my grandparents restaurant to get the money to buy the original 12 Kenner Star Wars figures. Bought them plus a landspeeder. Mailed away for the display stand too. Still have all of them on display.

Comment

• newlyknighted
                              Persistent Member
                              • Feb 21, 2010

Tom Thumb Page Drug stocker and cashier. I also specialized in moving 50 lb. bags of fertilizer throughout the store. That was dirty work.

Putt putt golf and batting cage employee. Minimum wage pay. I quit that job twice in a span of 8 weeks despite a pay raise.

My favorite job by far was working at Record Bar, in Georgia. Listening to music and getting free records, cd's, and tickets to concerts was fun. Plus, no fertilizer to lug around.
                              I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• Cee
                                • Sep 7, 2018

I never had a summer job, but I started work when I was 17 working in a deli at a supermarket that lasted all of three months that paid me in peanuts.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎