Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

I think there's many reasons these remakes are so attractive to Disney, for one thing it's about investing value into their existing IPs which is why they'll do a smash hit like Lion King, but also try out a less-regarded brand like Pete's Dragon. I think it's all about building a cycle around their existing IPs. Like, remember when Disney VHS/DVD movies went into moratorium and then they "came back" they were huge again? I don't think they care about making "classics" — I think what they want is for Little Mermaid merch to hold its value until enough time passes for the next generation when they remake it again in god-knows-what new form.

As for the casting choice? If politics is involved in casting a non-white performer it is because the politics happen to align themselves to marketing and profitability. Disney's agenda is their brand, that's it. Performers like Halle Bailey and Zendaya (and a bunch of other young performers I'm too old to know) are in Disney's bullpen because they're part of a carefully constructed architecture for future Disney. They're likely insanely super talented for their age and they're basically groomed for years to maintain a "Disney" image. It's not "PC" for its own sake — the plot is much much thicker than that.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Brazoo
      As for the casting choice? If politics is involved in casting a non-white performer it is because the politics happen to align themselves to marketing and profitability. Disney's agenda is their brand, that's it. Performers like Halle Bailey and Zendaya (and a bunch of other young performers I'm too old to know) are in Disney's bullpen because they're part of a carefully constructed architecture for future Disney. They're likely insanely super talented for their age and they're basically groomed for years to maintain a "Disney" image. It's not "PC" for its own sake — the plot is much much thicker than that.
      Thank you, I share a similar take but never factored in the grooming aspect. You are right, Disney has done this since Annette.

Also, I recently read a book about marketing and they mentioned the most popular youtube star right now is this little boy who reviews toys, he's worth $11 million. The author noted that his somewhat ambiguous ethnicity played a huge hand in his global popularity.

While I have no idea what his cultural background is, I watched his videos and understood him to be a "perfect storm" in a sense for the global marketplace.

Films are all global now and while I'm sure there are well-meaning and progressive investors out there, the bottom line is the bottom line and you want everybody to come.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

As for the casting choice? If politics is involved in casting a non-white performer it is because the politics happen to align themselves to marketing and profitability. Disney's agenda is their brand, that's it.
        Exactly! Disney is first and foremost a content business. Reinforcing the brand is the best way to strengthen and build that brand. If there's a "PC" being discussed in meetings its more likely to mean "potential cash" than anything else.

Originally posted by palitoy
        I want Disney to remake their live action movies as cartoons, "Computer wore tennis shoes" and "Superdad" being my top picks. I'm on hand to provide a Joe Flynn sound a like.
        THAT would be fun! I'd love to see 'Escape To Witch Mountain' (a cartoon Donald Pleasence alone would make it worthwhile, alone) and 'The Apple Dumpling Gang' done in the style of Nick Park/Aardman Animation.
        Last edited by Wee67; Jul 5, '19, 5:04 PM.
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Brazoo
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
          Also, I recently read a book about marketing and they mentioned the most popular youtube star right now is this little boy who reviews toys, he's worth $11 million. The author noted that his somewhat ambiguous ethnicity played a huge hand in his global popularity.

While I have no idea what his cultural background is, I watched his videos and understood him to be a "perfect storm" in a sense for the global marketplace.
          Oh god! Is it Ryan or CKN Toys? My 3 year old is addicted to both. Ryan drives me crazy. Well, they both drive me crazy, but Ryan's mom is extra annoying to me for some reason.

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

Oh god! Is it Ryan or CKN Toys? My 3 year old is addicted to both. Ryan drives me crazy. Well, they both drive me crazy, but Ryan's mom is extra annoying to me for some reason.
            I think it's Ryan. Totally not my world but he even has merch!

Comment

• B-Lister
              Eccentric Weirdo
              • Mar 19, 2010

It doesn't go both ways. Jasmine, Mulan, Pocahontas, and Tiana cannot be replaced by actors of a different race, as their identity is rooted in their culture. But Ariel is a Mermaid. Something that doesn't exist. She can be any color.
              Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

The only agenda Disney has is getting me to buy Princess dolls. Which they are succeeding at.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Brazoo
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  The only agenda Disney has is getting me to buy Princess dolls. Which they are succeeding at.
                  Yeah, now you'll need 2 of each — A "real" and "classic" version of every character!

Lord help us when they get around to doing an Avengers-style crossover event with these things. I can already picture Belle flying around on Dumbo in the trailer.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by B-Lister
                    It doesn't go both ways. Jasmine, Mulan, Pocahontas, and Tiana cannot be replaced by actors of a different race, as their identity is rooted in their culture. But Ariel is a Mermaid. Something that doesn't exist. She can be any color.
                    Actually, all of them could be rewritten to suit a different race - Just ask The Magnificent Seven

Comment

• ODBJBG
                      Permanent Member
                      • May 15, 2009

I heard purple people are upset about Ursa... hur hur! I’m so clever!

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                        I heard purple people are upset about Ursa... hur hur! I’m so clever!
                        The only people mad at Ursula and Disney is Divine's estate

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Mikey
                          The only people mad at Ursula and Disney is Divine's estate
                          Legitimate beef.

Comment

• B-Lister
                            Eccentric Weirdo
                            • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by Mikey
                            Actually, all of them could be rewritten to suit a different race - Just ask The Magnificent Seven
                            Not looking for a fight. Fish people aren't real. They can be any color.
                            Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Quick example: Ariel is a mythical creature from the fictional undersea city of Atlantica. Pocahontas is Powhatan which is one the indigenous Algonquian people of North America. If you change her race it obviously changes the story. It doesn't with Ariel.
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
                                Inhuman
                                • Jul 14, 2003

Lord help us when they get around to doing an Avengers-style crossover event with these things. I can already picture Belle flying around on Dumbo in the trailer.
                                I would throw money at Disney for a Princess spin off from Wreck it Ralph. Best part of the movie.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎