Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

I understand they're already getting into a snit over the live action version of Mulan.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I don't think the Mulan situation is comparable, from what I've read.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Regarding Werewolf's comment and Pali's reponse:

Yes. There are a lot of professional gadflies in both sides of the aisle, it's exhausting.

If you truly care and have investiture, that's different. But "non-traditional" casting has been in place in the theatre for 40 years, striving for diversity in the arts should not be a crisis. IMO.

Right now Glenda Jackson is playing King Lear on Broadway to raves and sold-out houses. I'm a little surprise at the little mermaid casting, but it's not upsetting. Honestly, I'm more interested in what they do with Ursula, an icon in my community.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

Might be a silly question but when my family visited Disney last year, my young daughter was thrilled to meet “the real” one. The actress had red hair and looked like she stepped right out of the cartoon.
          Given the obvious PC change in casting, I’m curious if they’ll replace the actress at Magic Kingdom. Either way, the small ones who think they’re meeting the real princesses may be confused.
          I’m honestly very curious on who they’ll hire to greet kids at Disney Land. If they don’t resemble the cartoons I think a bit of the magic is lost on the little ones.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

i don't think they will change anything at the parks for any of these live action movies. the parks follow the cartoons, except in cases where It was a live action movie, like Pirates of the Caribbean

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

The actresses that play the Disney Princess characters in the parks wear wigs. They also are expected to be able to play a variety of the Princesses. One day they might be playing Belle and the next day Aurora. The Princess characters are based on the movies and don't change because of live action versions. I don't think people realize how many live action remakes there have been already. Aladdin wasn't the first. Unlike adults kids generally don't get fussed or confused about the casting of the characters in spin offs or remakes. Just look at the Descendants movies.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Children are adaptable, empathetic and open-minded, there isn't going to be an issue unless a parent teaches them bias.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

There's been so many changes to major pop characters throughout history …

The ones that are altered for "PC" reasons were only controversial when it happened …

The next generation always takes them as proper

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jun 29, 2018

I had read that Melissa McCarthy was playing Ursula. Purple Americans everywhere have taken umbrage at the offense.

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

This is such a non issue, it's unbelievable and shameful in this day and age. I has having some fun taking a poke at the practice of remaking the cartoons, but reactions to this specific casting are a sobering reminder of where our culture really stands.

Kevin Smith has been advocating for a "Black Batman" on his podcast in recent years, and I couldn't agree more. In fact, if Anthony Mackie is going to be the new Captain America, I really would like Disney to give him some cinematic adventures rather than sending him to their Disney+ streaming service.

Oh and while we're at it, Zendaya > Kiersten Dunst.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

the thing to me, is the blatant PC reason for doing it.

Anthony Mackie as cap is different, as, if I am not mistaken, Falcon was Cap for a bit in the comics. plus he is not playing Steve Rogers as Cap, he is playing Falcon as Cap.

When Spiderman Homecoming came out, they said that Zendaya was NOT that MJ. maybe that has changed since.

Look, I get that there is not enough diversity in TV and film, but this type of thing is just forcing it in. If they do princess and the frog and cast a white girl as the lead, do you still feel it is okay?

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

So explain to me what you think the "PC motif" is for doing this. This is not a trap of any kind, I genuinely want to know because I hear it said a lot that things are being forced down our throats" but I don't know the motivation for such actions.

Why would Disney do this if it's going to cost them money? What "PC agenda" is so important? I have my own theories, which are far more cynical but i'd rather listen than talk.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                            Moderation Engineer
                            • Aug 14, 2003

I just wish people would direct their passionate Disney discord at more important things, like how they completely blew it with the latest Star Wars trilogy.

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                              I just wish people would direct their passionate Disney discord at more important things, like how they completely blew it with the latest Star Wars trilogy.
                              I thought everybody loved it?

Comment

• Hedji
                                Citizen of Gotham
                                • Nov 17, 2012

I do. In my world, that's all that matters.

Whenever garbage like this rears its ugly head, I'm reminded of Chancellor Gorkon's line in Star Trek VI, "Well... I see we still have a long way to go.". David Warner was so good in that role. And the line "Inalienable... If only you could hear yourselves. Human rights. Why the very name is racist. The Federation is no more than a Homo sapiens only club."

Good stuff, science fiction. Imagine if we could learn from it.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎