X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Any fans of classic comic strips?

I am a huge fan of classic comic strips, and have been picking up collections of these on the cheap where I can. I just picked up a few today...

a pair of collections of Walt Kelly's Pogo:

and a pair of volumes of classic Sundays of E.C. Segar's Popeye:

It started for me with tracking down collections of Alex Raymond's Flash Gordon strips, and the big one I am trying to get complete now is Milton Caniff's Terry and the Pirates, and I just added this volume to that last week...

and I also have a good chunk of his Steve Canyon strips from the 40s and 50s as well. I have the one collection of the Conan strips DH put out, some classic Tarzan, Phantom, Prince Valiant, Buck Rogers and other strips as well, plus a bunch of Peanuts stuff, and a few vintage paperback strip collections like BC. Beetle Bailey, Hagar, etc. that I used to get at Scholastic fairs or my parents would get for me when I was a kid that I am now picking up whenever I see them at a good price.

Anyone else here collect classic strips? It's a golden age for strip collections now, as you can find almost anything if you are willing to plunk down the cash for the new deluxe hardcover collections that are out there, but I am at heart a bargain hunter, and I like the older vintage collections I can find.

If you are a fan of classic strips, any recommendations of strips I should try or collections I should look out for?

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
Working...
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎