Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

I preferred going to the mom and pops comic book shop as a kid and teen back in the day. I have so many fond nostalgic memories.

Today’s superhero movies are cool and all...but speaking as a jaded adult...it just doesn’t hold a candle to those memories of yesteryear
    sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

I think it's amazing when I go to a convention and see how many girls are into comics. (Where were you when I was growing up?) You have to look at it as a way to prolong the longevity of these characters, and elevate them to modern myth status. I think it's terrific how all inclusive and appealing it is. I'd rather have it this way, because my coworkers and family members don't think I'm a complete nut for dressing up like Batman. It's just sort of accepted.

I don't miss the exclusivity; I miss the art style, paper style, storytelling, and price tag of silver age books.

Comment

• Brazoo
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 14, 2009

I have some complicated feelings about this stuff. The cliche was true for me — as a lonely and socially awkward kid superhero comics (and specifically the mythology of Marvel comics) gave me some happiness in a time when I didn't have much else. I really relate to the bond you describe, but I do see the other side of this too, a somewhat potentially darker aspect of this, and I often and think it can lead to a place that seems unhealthy, in some ways. I think I've actively pulled myself away from mentally feeling "ownership" of these intellectual properties to protect myself a bit, if that makes sense?

To me, watching Captain Marvel in the theatre was the most culture shock-type moment, because it was easy for me to get why people liked Iron Man, for example, but the fact that a mainstream audience was this deep into the Marvel mythology seemed like the world had gone insane. It blew my freaking mind. I'm in a packed theatre full of "normals" and the first 30 min. of this movie was Krees and Starforce, and Supreme Intelligence, and Skrulls all told in a fractured way to mimic Captain Marvel's mixed up memories and everyone was just watching is if it wasn't the craziest thing to see in a $150 mainstream movie. I was genuinely surprised nobody seemed angry and nobody was walking out. I couldn't find a kid my age to talk about this stuff when I was an obsessed 12 year old and now it's normal?
        Last edited by Brazoo; Jul 12, '19, 9:12 AM.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Brazoo
          I have some complicated feelings about this stuff. The cliche was true for me — as a lonely and socially awkward kid superhero comics (and specifically the mythology of Marvel comics) gave me some happiness in a time when I didn't have much else. I really relate to the bond you describe, but I do see the other side of this too, a somewhat potentially darker aspect of this, and I often and think it can lead to a place that seems unhealthy, in some ways. I think I've actively pulled myself away from mentally feeling "ownership" of these intellectual properties to protect myself a bit, if that makes sense?
          Totally get this, I did it with bands. Especially in my youth, if a band i liked became popular i'd disown them because "it's mainstreamer crap now".
          I even found myself doing this with Mego now that the brand has been revived, it's really easy to fall into that mentality.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Brazoo
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
            Totally get this, I did it with bands. Especially in my youth, if a band i liked became popular i'd disown them because "it's mainstreamer crap now".
            I even found myself doing this with Mego now that the brand has been revived, it's really easy to fall into that mentality.
            YES, I totally went through that with bands! You feel like you "discovered" them and they're yours in some way. Along the way a smarter friend of mine said something like "I like their old stuff better but I'm happy they're making some money now" and that re-programmed my brain a bit. I'd argue that I have a lot more peace and fun with music since I gave up being a slave to that, because now I can enjoy some obscure 70s krautrock band AND I can enjoy the occasional catchy Carly Rae Jepsen tune.
            Last edited by Brazoo; Jul 12, '19, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I agree, I feel a bit that way about Aquaman and Capt. Marvel (SHAZAM!).

For decades I had to defend these characters I love: Supposedly one was lame, the other a rip-off. I always knew they were special, but now that they are "cool" and have mainstream success, I'm a little bitter. Perhaps part of it is that neither character received the kind of adaptation that Captain America did.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by PNGwynne

For decades I had to defend these characters I love: Supposedly one was lame, the other a rip-off. I always knew they were special, but now that they are "cool" and have mainstream success, I'm a little bitter. Perhaps part of it is that neither character received the kind of adaptation that Captain America did.
                I was there with you on those guys as well. It was kind of weird being a big Shazam! fan in the 80s.

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

Well said. I do think there is an inherent conflict for me. I sometimes attached my identity to this and several other "secrets." When they are no longer my little secret, it can diminish that feeling of special-ness. I think that may be the darker potential.

When I posed question, I was thinking about several subjects where this applied to for me. Nothing more so than bands. I was heavily involved in underground/alternative/punk/whatever its called music in the 80's. It took some adjustment when the "garage" bands I loved started being called "grunge" and I started hearing them on commercial radio. Brian, I even remember sharing a band t-shirt moment with you, similar to the comic one you described with the waiter. You were wearing a Dirtbombs t-shirt at a Meet and I was thought, "yeah. he gets it." We shared a secret handshake, played air guitar for a moment and then I said "I'm a street walking cheetah" to which you responded "with a heart full of napalm."

I might be exaggerating.
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67
                    You were wearing a Dirtbombs t-shirt at a Meet and I was thought, "yeah. he gets it." We shared a secret handshake, played air guitar for a moment and then I said "I'm a street walking cheetah" to which you responded "with a heart full of napalm."

I might be exaggerating.
                    No, I remember that, we totally had a moment there, i felt it too.

Comment

• Brazoo
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne

My favourite superheroes were always the FF, so one benefit to them always screwing that up is that I haven't lost them to "coolness" yet.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                        Permanent Member
                        • Sep 15, 2014

My favourite superheroes were always the FF, so one benefit to them always screwing that up is that I haven't lost them to "coolness" yet.
                        Yeah FF were the best marvel title of Marvel's silver age. Romita era Spiderman followed close by.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎