Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When Superheroes Were Our Little Secret

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    Totally get this, I did it with bands. Especially in my youth, if a band i liked became popular i'd disown them because "it's mainstreamer crap now".
    I even found myself doing this with Mego now that the brand has been revived, it's really easy to fall into that mentality.
    I agree, I feel a bit that way about Aquaman and Capt. Marvel (SHAZAM!).

For decades I had to defend these characters I love: Supposedly one was lame, the other a rip-off. I always knew they were special, but now that they are "cool" and have mainstream success, I'm a little bitter. Perhaps part of it is that neither character received the kind of adaptation that Captain America did.
    WANTED:Grayson SI trousers; Dale Arden dagger; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PNGwynne View Post

For decades I had to defend these characters I love: Supposedly one was lame, the other a rip-off. I always knew they were special, but now that they are "cool" and have mainstream success, I'm a little bitter. Perhaps part of it is that neither character received the kind of adaptation that Captain America did.
    I was there with you on those guys as well. It was kind of weird being a big Shazam! fan in the 80s.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazoo View Post
    I have some complicated feelings about this stuff. The cliche was true for me — as a lonely and socially awkward kid superhero comics (and specifically the mythology of Marvel comics) gave me some happiness in a time when I didn't have much else. I really relate to the bond you describe, but I do see the other side of this too, a somewhat potentially darker aspect of this, and I often and think it can lead to a place that seems unhealthy, in some ways. I think I've actively pulled myself away from mentally feeling "ownership" of these intellectual properties to protect myself a bit, if that makes sense?
    Well said. I do think there is an inherent conflict for me. I sometimes attached my identity to this and several other "secrets." When they are no longer my little secret, it can diminish that feeling of special-ness. I think that may be the darker potential.

Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    Totally get this, I did it with bands. Especially in my youth, if a band i liked became popular i'd disown them because "it's mainstreamer crap now".
    I even found myself doing this with Mego now that the brand has been revived, it's really easy to fall into that mentality.
    When I posed question, I was thinking about several subjects where this applied to for me. Nothing more so than bands. I was heavily involved in underground/alternative/punk/whatever its called music in the 80's. It took some adjustment when the "garage" bands I loved started being called "grunge" and I started hearing them on commercial radio. Brian, I even remember sharing a band t-shirt moment with you, similar to the comic one you described with the waiter. You were wearing a Dirtbombs t-shirt at a Meet and I was thought, "yeah. he gets it." We shared a secret handshake, played air guitar for a moment and then I said "I'm a street walking cheetah" to which you responded "with a heart full of napalm."

I might be exaggerating.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wee67 View Post
    You were wearing a Dirtbombs t-shirt at a Meet and I was thought, "yeah. he gets it." We shared a secret handshake, played air guitar for a moment and then I said "I'm a street walking cheetah" to which you responded "with a heart full of napalm."

I might be exaggerating.
    No, I remember that, we totally had a moment there, i felt it too.

Quote Originally Posted by PNGwynne View Post

My favourite superheroes were always the FF, so one benefit to them always screwing that up is that I haven't lost them to "coolness" yet.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazoo View Post
    My favourite superheroes were always the FF, so one benefit to them always screwing that up is that I haven't lost them to "coolness" yet.
    Yeah FF were the best marvel title of Marvel's silver age. Romita era Spiderman followed close by.