Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

June 29th an unaltered 70mm print of Star Wars recieved an official public screening

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

June 29th an unaltered 70mm print of Star Wars recieved an official public screening

Yes, the actual SW movie, not the special edition, received an official public screening. It's kind of a big deal.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

I'm surprised Disney let that happen. That's pretty swell.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^I would bet Disney is fine with it. It's Lucas who had a beef with it. So hopefully things are softening, and we'll get an actual Blu-Ray release of the real deal at some point.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

It gets more interesting. Marcia Lucas was in attendance. Lucasfilm has tried to downplay, if not outright erase, her academy award winning editing on SW for decades now.
        Last edited by Werewolf; Jul 1, '19, 9:57 AM.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Very nostalgic reading people call the first movie "Star Wars"

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

It's the Academy Archive print. A literal original reel from Fox that was donated to the Archive. It happens for every Oscar winner. Even if Lucas wanted to, he couldn't stop them from showing it.

If you own a print, you have the right to exhibit it in this very manner. It has to be non-profit.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Here's a thread on it at original trilogy.com. It was an official authorized showing by Lucasfilm and signed off on by George Lucas.

John Dykstra introduced the print at the showing. I make no claims that this means anything for a home video release. But it's still important that Lucasfilm acknowledges the original after so long. This is the first authorized public showing of the unaltered version since at least 1997.
              Last edited by Werewolf; Jul 1, '19, 11:32 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Maybe its because the expiration date on the new CGI elements from the Special Editions has long expired, and they are starting to stink up the fridge? I know Lucas has continually fiddled with the films with each new release, but the majority of the work done in 1997 looks horrible now, where as the 1977 original material holds up much, MUCH better. Even the rare wobbly practical stuff looks better than 90% of the CGI add-ons. I'm not telling you guys anything you don't know, but my kids will watch an effects heavy movie like Superman from the 70s and never blink, but they take one look at the added CGI bits in the Star Wars trilogy and immediately cry foul.
                sigpic

Comment

• Klosterheim
                  Persistent Member
                  • Mar 23, 2013

That's really cool that they had a screening of STAR WARS!!!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

A momentous occasion indeed! Still my all time favourite movie.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      Maybe its because the expiration date on the new CGI elements from the Special Editions has long expired, and they are starting to stink up the fridge?
                      It's certainly possible. 4k is going to be very unforgiving to those outdated lower resolution CGI effects.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jun 29, 2018

i tried watching return of the jedi on tnt the other day. the extended musical sequence made me find a rerun of big bang theory.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Could mean absolutely nothing, but Lego just announced two new Star Wars sets based on the first film, set to come out early next year. I know they release sets from all the movies all the time, and it may tie into nothing other than just being Star Wars, but who knows? Maybe Disney is waking up to demand for the unaltered original?

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• ODBJBG
                            Permanent Member
                            • May 15, 2009

Honestly, the CG in 1997 looked awful then. I think with modern CG, you might could do a better job trying to sneak in some digital effects to a 1970s film, but in 1997 the technology wasn't there yet. Outside of a couple of fixes to say the Landspeeder, everything looked like cartoons plastered onto the screen.

I'm sure Disney will eventually release the films as they were on Bluray... But it'll be ridiculously expensive and we'll have to wait forever and it'll only be available for a short time.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                              Museum Paramedic
                              • Aug 31, 2005

As a bit of an aside, TCM will air, for the first time, Star Wars and The Wrath of Khan on the evening of Tuesday, July 30.

- Ian
                              Last edited by EmergencyIan; Jul 3, '19, 7:21 PM. Reason: typo
                              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎