Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So is THIS The RIGHT STUFF... Naphtha Head Shrink Question.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

She looks good! I like her on the Mattel body.

Yeah... assuming you gave the hair a good rinse off, she'll eventually air out. It may take a little bit.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

smell was much better this morning already. i put in her the window to get a fresh airing and within a few hours the odor was all gone

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
        Career Member
        • Jul 23, 2019

Another question about Naphtha... Is it only good for shrinking vinyl heads or would it also work on 3D-printed heads? I have a 3D-printed head I purchased and it is a little on the large size.
        "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

Just vinyl.

But of course the beauty of 3d printing is you can print things whatever size you want. I would talk to whoever you purchased it from and tell them you want one X% smaller.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

has anyone had any luck shrinking the accessories for the playmates Trek figures? i tried a phaser but there was no change. maybe a solid item cannot be shrunk like the hollow heads

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

The hard plastic items will not shrink. The new Mego guns that are flexible might be able to be shrunk. The Mego guitars might also be able to be shrunk. Maybe the rubbery style Star Trek belts can shrink so the phasers fit better and don't fall out. The communicators wouldn't fit anymore, though.

Comment

• Tiberiusguy
                Museum Patron
                • Aug 23, 2019

May have info about this.
                I bought a Kira to shrink her head, watch Mego do it for me… anyway I stuck the accessories in naptha, nothing happened even the paint was unaffected. Because they are so big, I though I might as well try acetone… they look bigger and soft. I’ll let you know if it works.

Comment

• Jrfjr126rock
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 23, 2008

Originally posted by Tiberiusguy
                  May have info about this.
                  I bought a Kira to shrink her head, watch Mego do it for me… anyway I stuck the accessories in naptha, nothing happened even the paint was unaffected. Because they are so big, I though I might as well try acetone… they look bigger and soft. I’ll let you know if it works.
                  Playmates Kira Nerys? I shrunk her, Uhura and Guinan and her head shrunk the most in Naphtha.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 11, 2013

s-l500.jpg

I bought the Ken 2021 Dia De Muertos Sombrero and of coarse it is big for the Mego Phantom of the Opera skull head. Will the Naphtha work on shrinking it? I did noticed that is I put the red pimp hat on under the sombrero it fits so it would not have to get shrunk much.

Just wondering if anybody has tried to shrink down the Barbie accessories for Mego. Thanks!
                    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

i only tried a playmates phaser and nothing happened. i assume the hat probably would not either but try it, worst case, nothing happens

Comment

• Tiberiusguy
                        Museum Patron
                        • Aug 23, 2019

Acetone might be the way if not, maybe mixed with water, but you’ll need to repaint. Defiantly try naptha first.
                        My experiment with 9” playmates accessories in acetone seems a bust. They grew and were really flexible, but still too large (for Kira as well) after reverting in size.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎