Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So is THIS The RIGHT STUFF... Naphtha Head Shrink Question.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
    thanks. I waited a few hours and then did it. it did seem to misshape for a bit after I squeezed it on but went back to normal after a few minutes
    If you're popping it on a new Mego body I have found that the neck plug is almost airtight and it doesn't want to let the head "breathe" to reshape faster. I soulved this by putting the head on warm and lubing the plug a little so that the head slides on without too much squeezing. If it hardens a little out of shape hot water makes it pliable again for adjustments.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

has anyone tried shrinking the weapons that come with the Playmates figures? I've had a phaser soaking for 3 days and it has not shrunk at all

Comment

• dr_cyclops
        One eyed, wonder
        • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by SeattleEd
        Jumping in here.

Anyone shrink the Bride and Creech heads from the DST/ EMCE line? I was thinking of doing it and how long would one recommend to soak and dry in Naphtha? How much is meeded to soak?
        That seems to be the question. Since the heads will continue to shrink after the soak, I think it would be best to go slow. Nevertheless, others here know more than I. As a custom head molder, I would cure to desired size, and make a mold at that size. If it continue to shrink, well, at least I still have my mold. But, that is just me.

Comment

• Confessional
          Maker & Whatnot
          • Aug 8, 2012

^^ That's what I've been thinking too, in addition to the (unknown?) destructive effect on the vinyl over time.

Anyone try this hack on PVC?

Comment

• kenh0027
            • Aug 2, 2018

I’m having a hard time getting my Worf head with hair to shrink any further. I’m going to continue to soak it and try a Worf head with out the hair

Comment

• danadoll
              Micronaut Nut!
              • Apr 11, 2005

So, 12 inch heads won't shrink to 8 inch scale (at all)? Not even Mego 12 inch heads? I was just wondering?

Probably because of the size of the head and the density of the vinyl the naptha has to affect?

Dana
              Last edited by danadoll; Mar 28, '21, 5:52 PM.
              "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

That's just too much shrink! Acetone won't even shrink stuff that much.

Comment

• danadoll
                  Micronaut Nut!
                  • Apr 11, 2005

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                  That's just too much shrink! Acetone won't even shrink stuff that much.
                  That's what I was guessing was the issue.

Dana
                  "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                    Moderation Engineer
                    • Aug 14, 2003

Another neat trick...........once a head shrinks and hardens, you can heat it up and manipulate the shape to a degree. These are Playmates Kirks.

Kirks.jpg

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
                      Career Member
                      • Jul 23, 2019

I just picked up some Naphtha and am going to have a go at shrinking some heads... curious about how much a head will continue shrinking when removed from the Naphtha (should I remove it before it is at the exact size I am looking for?) And, once removed, should I wash the head with hot, soapy water to remove any traces of the Naphtha, or should I simply allow it to evaporate.

Finally, will this method work on Marvel Famous Covers heads?

Thanks.
                      "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• sprytel
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 26, 2009

I remove the head from the Naphtha, rinse it in hot water, dry it off, and try to get that last little extra compaction if I can by brute force. Then I install it before it hardens up.

I just did Burnham recently and I was really happy with how she turned out.

In my experience, the continued shrinking is pretty modest. 10% maybe? In any case, I wouldn't remove it early. I have never had it shrink "too much"...

Comment

• actjac01
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 17, 2009

Okay, here's one for you...
                          Batman cowl. Would you use this to shrink one of these, or would it be too destructive?
                          I don't need much of a shrink, just want the cowl to fit Bruce head better.
                          What do you think?
                          "...You can capture the Klingon & bring him back to the Enterprise!"

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Hmmm. I think it would shrink a vintage cowl but might warp it. Also, re-softening might tear it,

Personally, I would not shrink a vintage cowl. Since it's going to harden when shrunk anyway, why not use a CTVT cowl which is already harder plastic and smaller? It might fit a vintage Bruce head nicely just as it is.

If you want to experiment shrinking a soft cowl, try a DM one.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
                              Career Member
                              • Jul 23, 2019

I'm in the midst of experimenting with Naphtha to shrink a Playmates Kirk head. I put it in the Naphtha just under 24 hours ago. How long does it usually take for the head to reach Mego size? Also, upon examining it this morning it appears to have actually grown or swelled slightly. Is this a normal part of the process?
                              "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• sprytel
                                Talkative Member
                                • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by TheVintageToyKid
                                I'm in the midst of experimenting with Naphtha to shrink a Playmates Kirk head. I put it in the Naphtha just under 24 hours ago. How long does it usually take for the head to reach Mego size? Also, upon examining it this morning it appears to have actually grown or swelled slightly. Is this a normal part of the process?
                                48 hours is a good ballpark.

It shouldn't have grown though. That happens with acetone but not Naphtha. If you have it in a glass container, it can sometimes have a "fun house mirror" effect... but otherwise, I'm not quite sure what the cause would be.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎