Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So is THIS The RIGHT STUFF... Naphtha Head Shrink Question.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tiberiusguy
    Museum Patron
    • Aug 23, 2019

Ha, I was wondering what magic would be needed to pop the now solid head shrink. I was relieved to find that hot water did work. I’m shrinking a guinan head now, hat and all. I expect the hat to stay unchanged.
    I wonder if the naphtha wouldn’t stop reacting, when water was added

Comment

• battmasterson
      Career Member
      • Dec 22, 2010

When you soak the heads do you have any major discoloration?

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

No discoloration at all, and the paint stays intact. The only downside I noted is that the head, once removed from the naphtha, continues to shrink slightly as it cures.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• battmasterson
          Career Member
          • Dec 22, 2010

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          No discoloration at all, and the paint stays intact. The only downside I noted is that the head, once removed from the naphtha, continues to shrink slightly as it cures.
          Thanks. Sounds Good.

Comment

• SeattleEd
            SynthoRes Transmigrator
            • Oct 24, 2007

Jumping in here.

Anyone shrink the Bride and Creech heads from the DST/ EMCE line? I was thinking of doing it and how long would one recommend to soak and dry in Naphtha? How much is meeded to soak?

Comment

• battmasterson
              Career Member
              • Dec 22, 2010

Just a follow up. I shrunk a 9" Playmates Captain Kirk head down to MEGO size. It took a couple of days. It is currently very hard, but, I am going to try and place it in hot water so that I can get it able to work with.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

i am trying my first soak on a Trelane head. it's been about 24 hours so far and I have not noticed any change in size yet

Comment

• sprytel
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                  i am trying my first soak on a Trelane head. it's been about 24 hours so far and I have not noticed any change in size yet
                  I have only had that happen once (it was one of the figures I purchased for the Cage style uniform, so it was either Sulu or Scotty). Not sure if it is the sculpt or just dumb luck that causes it. I'd give it a little longer because... why not... and if it still doesn't shrink, try pulling it out and giving it a really tight squeeze. You can sometimes "sculpt" a little smaller by squeezing it down. Just be careful not to flat spot the top of the head.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                    Moderation Engineer
                    • Aug 14, 2003

I have soaked some heads for *months* - just check it daily. Spock's head took forever relative to others I've shrunk.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

thanks for the advice. I will leave it in longer to see what happens

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

the head is definitely smaller today. I am using a Mirror Kirk head for comparison and Trelane is now almost the same size. I will give it till morning and then take it out to cure

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Two days is about right, my first effort continued to shrink a bit after removal as it cured. It's amazing stuff.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

IMG_1565.jpg

this was after 3 days soaking. pretty close in size now. how long do you let it cure before attaching it to a body?

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                              Moderation Engineer
                              • Aug 14, 2003

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28525[/ATTACH]

this was after 3 days soaking. pretty close in size now. how long do you let it cure before attaching it to a body?
                              Sometimes I don't wait at all, just warm it for softness and pop it on:-)

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                                Muddling through
                                • Oct 4, 2008

thanks. I waited a few hours and then did it. it did seem to misshape for a bit after I squeezed it on but went back to normal after a few minutes

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎