Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So is THIS The RIGHT STUFF... Naphtha Head Shrink Question.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddgaff1132
    Persistent Member
    • Oct 3, 2007

So is THIS The RIGHT STUFF... Naphtha Head Shrink Question.

Naptha.jpg

Bought this the other day and it was the only type of "Naphtha" My local hardware store offered.
    Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
    MEGO MOTORS
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

That will do nicely.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

I really need to get some of that.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

I finally got some a few days ago. Got some heads soaking...

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

It's working on the new heads that I'm soaking. Acetone is much more extreme, with the swelling and shrinking. Just shrinking is kinda boring, but it's probably way better of a method. You don't get to see how small the head is going to be with acetone. You soak and hope. With naphtha, what you see is what you get. Like the size, take it out and your good.

Comment

• Tiberiusguy
            Museum Patron
            • Aug 23, 2019

I was looking to shrink some heads, thinking OG Charlie’s Angels, maybe move to Barbie and GI Joe...
            I can’t find naphtha, at least in Canada, tried eBay and Home Depot ... all I found was Coleman fuel and soap!
            If I find it; will it be ok on rooted hair, or GIJoe?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

Rooted heads work, but probably not flocked.

Comment

• Tiberiusguy
                Museum Patron
                • Aug 23, 2019

Thanks, might it bring back the non matted condition too? That would be a bonus

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

That sparks an interesting question have any Canadians tracked down Naptha? I've never looked.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MegoMam
                    • Dec 21, 2015

I'm fairly sure Coleman fuel is napath , check the ingredient list. That's what I used anyway on my original CA heads. Not certain the brand was Coleman, but it came in a red bottle and was BBQ fluid from Home Depot. It worked fine. I'm in Canada.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
                      Career Member
                      • Jul 23, 2019

What are some examples of some popular existing large scale figures that would make cool Megos if you were to use Naphtha to shrink the heads to the appropriate size?
                      "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I'm finally trying this on a slightly large head to shrink for 1/6 use and I'm impressed. Sprytel and EmceHammer advised me.

I can see this working wonders on the slightly-oversized FTC heads--if they aren't already too firm.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Tiberiusguy
                          Museum Patron
                          • Aug 23, 2019

I shrunk original Charlie’s Angels heads, for a week. They are Mego sized now. A little pinkish, but not noticeable. I was afraid that they were too rigid to connect, but worked a charm with boiling water! Still soft.

Comment

• ddgaff1132
                            Persistent Member
                            • Oct 3, 2007

Some observations I'd like to add to this thread.
                            Firstly this solved the FTC or CTVT over-sized head issues in many cases.

Second. Craft or Female Cake topper heads seem to be mostly vinyl and take to this method very well. I got some 1/6 scale female craft heads and they shrunk nicely. With NO hair loss !!!

Lastly I noticed that some heads shrink more over time. I decided to try several other 1/6 brand's head's. I was shooting for Big Jim scale. I soaked for 3-4 days and let dry outside for a day or two. One head was Lanard and the other was a Knock off GI Joe. Both did not shrink enough to be used on a Big Jim. So I threw them on a shelf and moved on. I guess the Lanard (Corp's 12" BTW) still had some Naptha to vent off as it had lost some more volume. (Still unfortunately too big for Jim though).

One more note. A head may feel ROCK Hard after a Naptha shrink, but I found that some dunked in warm to Hot water will soften them enough to work with if need be.
                            Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
                            MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Good observations, I found, too that heads continue to shrink as they cure,
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎