Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your classic indoor Mall favorite stores ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Mikey
    No mall clothes for me -- My clothes store was the fat boy section in Kmart
    Not the Sears Husky line?
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

^ --- The Sears mall wasn't built until the early 80's

Before that all we had was a "Sears Catalog Store" in a small strip mall.

Always thought it was weird having a store that you can order Sears items from but you can't physically buy anything and take it home the same day from there.

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

Has anyone mentioned Kresges? that's were I picked up some of my WGSH and ahi monsters, Cooper Halloween costumes and of course lunch at the cafe area. The 80's and high school friends, it was various music stores, Chess King, Suncoast, Hobby Town, Herman's sporting goods, and Sears.

Comment

• danadoll
          Micronaut Nut!
          • Apr 11, 2005

I used to love Kaybee Toys and Walden Books, and Woolworths. That's all I can think I can think of at the moment, but those were my go-to places.

Dana
          "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by danadoll
            I used to love Kaybee Toys and Walden Books, and Woolworths. That's all I can think I can think of at the moment, but those were my go-to places.

Dana
            Our Woolworth's had a restaurant and I still have the Batman Returns Umbrella Jet I bought there.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

The closest Woolworths to me was like 20 miles aways

We had J.J. Newberry's (Woolworths knock-off)

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                Creature Of The Night
                • May 14, 2011

The town that I grew up in had both J.J. Newberry & Woolworth in our downtown district, a block apart from each other. Both stores were stand alone buildings with basement areas featuring additional merchandise & soda fountains, they also had apartment housing on the upper floors. Both businesses were hopping when my parents were kids (they actually went on dates there) and both buildings remained open for business through at least the mid-80's.

The next town over (where my grandparents lived) had a J.J. Newberry in their neighborhood indoor mall. It was two story (main floor & basement), but I don't remember a soda fountain in that one. I do remember the toys being in the basement along with the arts & crafts stuff. This is the store where I got most of my WGSH Megos from (Spider-Man, Green Goblin, Lizard, Capt. America, Human Torch, Batman, Robin, Joker, Riddler, Wonder Woman, Shazam).

Fave mall stores up through the ages:

Toy World
                Spencer Gifts
                Dugan's Music
                Licorice Pizza
                Wherehouse Music
                Virgin Records
                Casa De Candles (they had posters galore)
                B. Dalton
                Suncoast Video
                Puzzle Zoo
                Warner Bros. Store
                F.Y.E.
                Sam Ash

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

I'm probably the only one that remembers this. When I was little Bergner's had this weird talking tree every Christmas. It had almost like a human face. The face was, I think, plastic and had lips that would more up and down as it talked and it greeted shoppers.
                  Last edited by Werewolf; Jul 5, '19, 7:34 PM.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Brue
                    User without title
                    • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                    I can't believe I forgot Hill's. I was always going to one of the ones in Syracuse as a teen.
                    I woulda said Hills but mine was in plaza, not indoor mall.
                    I went to Sears as a kid a few times in elementary school. But the catalog is where I found the toys.

I didn't to go to indoor malls until 7th grade. I don't even remember seeing a KB toys there. I would have loved that.

I went to the mall a lot iin 7th to 9th grade. I went to the record stores (no idea what eh store names were) and Spencer. I think there was some electronics store that sold Commodore cartridges and electronics too.

Comment

• B-Lister
                      Eccentric Weirdo
                      • Mar 19, 2010

For me they were outparcel stores.
                      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• jwyblejr
                        galactic yo-yo
                        • Apr 6, 2006

As I said,they were an anchor store. Here:
                        Attached Files

Comment

• B-Lister
                          Eccentric Weirdo
                          • Mar 19, 2010

I wasn't doubting you, or saying you couldn't include them. I'm just saying they weren't attached to the malls of my youth.
                          Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                            As I said,they were an anchor store. Here:
                            I also was merely stating they were not in my malls.

Comment

• Spawn67
                              Career Member
                              • Aug 14, 2009

Kind of ironic someone made this post because I visited my home town last week and went to the last of my childhood malls that's still standing. I went there on opening day in 1981 and it was a HUGE deal at the time.
                              None of the stores that I went to are there anymore. It had such a unique look and charecter back in the day but they remodeled it with the white marble tile that pretty much every mall has nowdays.
                              I had to go there on my visit because I have a feeling it might be the last time I ever set foot in there and had to say a final farewell in a sense...

Comment

• jwyblejr
                                galactic yo-yo
                                • Apr 6, 2006

It's okay that people didn't know about Hills being a mall store. Heck,I didn't know about J.J. Newberry's being one. The only one I knew of was the one next to the HOF in Cooperstown. No mall there.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎