X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

Road Trip to GI JOE Repair Shop and Museum

I recently found out that there is GI JOE Repair Shop and Museum about two hours away from me. I planned on making a trip to check it out this Summer and initially thought it would involve having to take a day away from work as they are only open on Friday mornings for a few hours (by appointment only). Last Saturday, they had an open house so I jumped in the car and made a trip to see some GI JOE goodness. Spent a short time talking to the owner of the collection and he showed me some of the "talkers" he had repaired and told me a little about the repair business he runs out of the same building. Talked at length with the Curator about the collection and the displays. It's a small(ish) space at the moment, but nicely displayed and curated, and you can get right up to the figures to really check out the details. There is a fun WWII diorama set up with a beach landing leading into an uphill assault on some dug in German Soldiers. They have plans to expand the space into connecting buildings so there will be even more things on display in the future. I got a bunch of pics and thought I'd share a few. Great place to visit for GI JOE fans and collectors!

JOE Museum 2.jpg
    JOE Museum 3.jpg
    JOE Museum 4.jpg
    JOE Museum 5.jpg
    JOE Museum 6.jpg

This is a link to a piece that was produced by our local NBC affiliate that highlights the Repair Shop and Museum

https://fox6now.com/2019/02/27/oklah...ction-figures/
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Somehow this seems familiar to me, I may have sold him some modern Joes years ago. Also, there is a GI Joe Medic that used to do tutorials in the GI Joe Collectors Club newsletter, I wonder if this is the same man. Ach, I'm getting so forgetful.

Thank you for posting this. It's nice to see how his collection is displayed and includes Adventure Team, too.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Klosterheim
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 23, 2013

They all look so good.

Comment

• Makernaut
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        Thank you for posting this. It's nice to see how his collection is displayed and includes Adventure Team, too.
        It's an amazing collection. As far as I could tell, it was pretty close to being complete. In an interview a few years back, he stated that he was missing some of the hard bits like the Marine Jungle Fighter and Nurse, but they are now part of the collection.

What I find amazing is that he lives in a small town in the middle of nowhere and was able to buy a storefront to display his collection....to the public. I am forever amazed at the groovy displays of collections I see on this board and other places. Beautifully drool worthy displays that color me all sorts of green with envy. But this guy had secured part of a city block to spread out and curate a collection that he can then say, "C'mon in and check this out!".

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

Very neat looking place and thanks for sharing! I think everyone of us would love to have a place like this to display our collections.
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Makernaut
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 22, 2015

A local travel show ran a feature last night about the GI JOE Museum. I really enjoyed talking to Dr. Vitale when I went and I think his passion comes across in this short feature. I am looking forward to going back this Summer.

Comment

• rykerw1701
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 27, 2007

Great clip. A little out of the way for me, but it looks like a terrific display. I could spend hours there looking at stuff and talking to that guy.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎