X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

New Captain America comic by Thomas and Ordway

How awesome is this? I see this appealing to a lot of us Bronze Age kids.

Chris
    sigpic
  • Marvelmania
    A Ray of Sunshine
    • Jun 17, 2001

I'll be certain to give it a go!

Comment

• Blue Meanie
      Banned
      • Jun 23, 2001

I'm in on ANYTHING Jerry Ordway does. Hopefully this may lead to a Marvel version of All-Star Squadron...but I won't hold my breath. Marvel recently has a bad history with giving ANYTHING to the older readers that still may be reading their books. Really is a shame because it is those older readers that will give you consistent sales from month to month. THEY are long term and NOT short term as the new collectors go these days. Just sayin'

Comment

• Makernaut
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
        Hopefully this may lead to a Marvel version of All-Star Squadron...
        Indeed! Scrolling through the preview pages, I could definitely pick up a revisiting of some of the things that made for my fascination with All-Star Squadron. I'll definitely give the title a try.

Comment

• fun guy
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 24, 2011

Yeah,count me in.i want to see a marvel version of all-star squadron

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
            I'm in on ANYTHING Jerry Ordway does. Hopefully this may lead to a Marvel version of All-Star Squadron...but I won't hold my breath. Marvel recently has a bad history with giving ANYTHING to the older readers that still may be reading their books. Really is a shame because it is those older readers that will give you consistent sales from month to month. THEY are long term and NOT short term as the new collectors go these days. Just sayin'
            This is one of a series of one shots Marvel is doing to celebrate their 80th anniversary, these are celebrations of the past, not the start of anything new. Another one shot had Bill Sienkewicz returning to the New Mutants for example. And older readers are aging out and dying off, any company that is not growing new customers is dying, because attrition will always happen. Old customers, get old, die off, lose interest, have changes in circumstances, etc. and stop being customers, if you have no new customers to replace them, you will always have a shrinking customer base. That's why the 18-35 demographic is always the darling of most businesses, particularly entertainment businesses, because those customers have a longer potential shelf life to remain customers. Through the 60s and 70s, Marvel and DC expected their entire readership to turn over every 8 years, long term customers were the exception, not the rule, and overall sales of comics during that period were much higher than they are today. The advent of long-term readers ushered in an era of shrinking readership and a lack of new customers coming in, which is why the industry is in the dire straights it is now. Catering to long term customers was bad for the comics business overall it turns out.

-M
            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

It appeals to me, even as a one-shot.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

I do like this and it takes me back a bit to the Bronze Age too, I'll look for it at my local comic shop.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                  Banned
                  • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by MRP
                  This is one of a series of one shots Marvel is doing to celebrate their 80th anniversary, these are celebrations of the past, not the start of anything new. Another one shot had Bill Sienkewicz returning to the New Mutants for example. And older readers are aging out and dying off, any company that is not growing new customers is dying, because attrition will always happen. Old customers, get old, die off, lose interest, have changes in circumstances, etc. and stop being customers, if you have no new customers to replace them, you will always have a shrinking customer base. That's why the 18-35 demographic is always the darling of most businesses, particularly entertainment businesses, because those customers have a longer potential shelf life to remain customers. Through the 60s and 70s, Marvel and DC expected their entire readership to turn over every 8 years, long term customers were the exception, not the rule, and overall sales of comics during that period were much higher than they are today. The advent of long-term readers ushered in an era of shrinking readership and a lack of new customers coming in, which is why the industry is in the dire straights it is now. Catering to long term customers was bad for the comics business overall it turns out.

-M
                  Then Marvel and DC should just close up shop and not PRINT anything anymore...seems like mine, and a lot of other older collectors monthlies have gone independent. It's not like they are breaking ANY new ground when every six months there is yet another reboot as a money grab. And now Marvel is subletting versions of their characters to IDW...that is writing on the wall in my opinion. BTW, the Spider-Man that IDW is doing with the young Parker/Miles Morales/Gwen Stacy is actually really good...and I am NOT a Spider-Man fan at all. Here's a thing Marvel and DC should do...send a questionaire to the LCS's to be given out to their customers and ask them what they want to see. It's obvious that both companies are having major difficulties in deciding what to do next, besides yet another reboot of all their characters, to gauge what it is the collectors want. Not rocket science and the way things used to be done. If there is a fear of people lying on the questionaire...give them an incentive like $1 off coupon or something where they have to give their name and address to get the coupon or whatever. They are already giving their information away for free by filling stuff out online to begin with. That being said...I'd still like to see a series with Cap that is like the All-Star series. Be a lot better than this crappy series of the Invaders that Marvel is doing right now. Hell, the new series is so bad I actually am starting to like the old series with that really bad Frank Robins art

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Man, five bucks for a floppy? No wonder the monthly is on deathwatch.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by MRP
                      This is one of a series of one shots Marvel is doing to celebrate their 80th anniversary, these are celebrations of the past, not the start of anything new.
                      -M
                      I picked up the Star Wars issue 108 one shot, featuring classic characters from the original Marvel SW run with the story being a sequel to SW issue 50 from 1981. These one shots are a great idea and a cool way to celebrate the fondly remembered eras of Marvel's books.

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

Looks GREAT! Count me in!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢