Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pod Stallions 71: Summer of 1989

Images
    That was a lot of fun. To be honest, until I started doing research for my Batman '89 toy podcast and article, I had completely forgotten about Young Einstein. But there it was, advertised on the free WB catalog pamphlet I got at the theater when I saw Batman. Our brief fascination with all things Australia was over by the time Crocidile Dundee 2 came out. Until about 18 years ago when The Wiggles hit.

I honestly saw most of these films on home video release, because...Batman. Any chance I had to get to a theater was to watch Batman. I even skipped Star Trek V!!!

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

It was a huge summer for movies.
    I was so looking forward to Star Trek and being let down by it. Batman was so-so, as was Ghostbusters 2.
    I REALLY enjoyed the Indiana Jones flick though.

Images
    Nice! I didn't get my usual notification so I'm glad you posted this. More gym fodder!
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Images
    A little late to listen to this, but this was a great podcast!

I went to a Star Trek convention in March of 1989 and some magazine (probably Starlog) hosting a session that was a "summer movie preview". They spoke a bit about Star Trek V and some of the other summer movies... actually how little they spoke about Star Trek at a Trek convention should have been a warning sign, in hindsight... but they spent a lot of time on Batman and it generated so much *anticipation* about that movie. I felt like I was in some secret club and got to know about this awesome thing before it came out. But I associate all of these summer movies with that happy time, packed into a room in the Holiday Inn with a bunch of sweaty Trekies.

I also remember some daytime talk show-- Sally Jessie Raphael maybe?-- that was doing this thing on cosplay, with the premise that people who dress up like superheroes and stuff are freaks. The guy was in a Batman costume pretty similar to the '66 Batman costume... except he had these leather spiked wristbands that looked like they came from the bondage scene. He said that they helped him make the costume his own or something like that... then added... "You know, I think you will see something in the new Batman movie they are making. I think that will surprise a lot of people."

Blog Entries
    I remember that guy!

My childhood ended in the summer of 1989. I was 9 years old, and my family was falling apart. My mother was an abusive alcoholic, and addict, and my dad had finally had enough. So, in a tide of chaos, Batman was a tiny island of refuge. In the chaos of my life upending, saying goodbye to all of my friends for the last time, and moving to an entirely different state, and away from city life, this movie was a beacon. I love the film unironically, warts and all. It is perfect to me, and will always be my entry into the world of comics, and especially the world of Batman. I will always love it.

Fifteen years ago, I took a trip back to my old city, to reconnect with the places I grew up. When I got to the hotel, I flipped on the television, and like serendipity, Batman was playing. It was all too much, and I joined the Joker for a weep.
    Looking for Iron Man Belt, Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Fever J, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman)

Images
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for sharing that. Films and music can be a time machine, for better or worse, but also a refuge.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

I rewatched the film on the 30th anniversary of its release.

My ONLY gripe with it is, to me, The film is supposed to begin with Alfred serving a diet Coke with a cape. The DVD just isn't the same as the old VHS.
    Looking for Iron Man Belt, Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Fever J, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman)

Missed this.

I have fond memories of the Batman movie and was super excited to see it so much that on June 19th, 1989 I skipped my college class and got up super early to get in line for the Batman Premiere in Westwood, L.A. Turned out that a few select general public folks would be let in to one of two movie theatres to view the movie. One theatre was designated for general public and the other for invited celebrities. Some how my friend and I were ushered into the celebrity theatre which was shocking and a delightful surprise. To say the least I was awestruck to be in the same movie theatre as Keaton, Nicholson, Basinger, and Prince. Prior to movie starting Keaton and Nicholson got up from their seats and did a mock fighting scene for the attendance. People went nuts and were cheering. My friend being a huge Prince fan went up to Prince but my friend was told by his big blonde bodyguard that Prince did not want to be bothered. But the weird thing was who I was seated next: Alan Thicke and his family. I ended up sitting next to Robin Thicke. When my friend came back from finding Prince, Robin overheard our conversation and was excited to hear Prince was present. He asked where and I pointed him out. Robin told his dad. Robin and I exchanged a few words about Batman then the movie started. During the middle of the movie I saw that Prince left early. Other than that it was a fun time to experience a movie in theatre with all the excitement from the audience. Wish I brought my camera.

^Now, THAT is an incredible, awesome story!!! Thanks for all the details. I cannot even imagine the mind exploding thought of Keaton and Jack doing a mock fight! That would never happen in the age of cellphones.
    PLEASE HELP ME WITH THESE CARDS: