Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

My childhood ended in the summer of 1989. I was 9 years old, and my family was falling apart. My mother was an abusive alcoholic, and addict, and my dad had finally had enough. So, in a tide of chaos, Batman was a tiny island of refuge. In the chaos of my life upending, saying goodbye to all of my friends for the last time, and moving to an entirely different state, and away from city life, this movie was a beacon. I love the film unironically, warts and all. It is perfect to me, and will always be my entry into the world of comics, and especially the world of Batman. I will always love it.

Fifteen years ago, I took a trip back to my old city, to reconnect with the places I grew up. When I got to the hotel, I flipped on the television, and like serendipity, Batman was playing. It was all too much, and I joined the Joker for a weep.
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Thank you for sharing that. Films and music can be a time machine, for better or worse, but also a refuge.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• B-Lister
        Eccentric Weirdo
        • Mar 19, 2010

I rewatched the film on the 30th anniversary of its release.

My ONLY gripe with it is, to me, The film is supposed to begin with Alfred serving a diet Coke with a cape. The DVD just isn't the same as the old VHS.
        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• SeattleEd
          SynthoRes Transmigrator
          • Oct 24, 2007

Missed this.

I have fond memories of the Batman movie and was super excited to see it so much that on June 19th, 1989 I skipped my college class and got up super early to get in line for the Batman Premiere in Westwood, L.A. Turned out that a few select general public folks would be let in to one of two movie theatres to view the movie. One theatre was designated for general public and the other for invited celebrities. Some how my friend and I were ushered into the celebrity theatre which was shocking and a delightful surprise. To say the least I was awestruck to be in the same movie theatre as Keaton, Nicholson, Basinger, and Prince. Prior to movie starting Keaton and Nicholson got up from their seats and did a mock fighting scene for the attendance. People went nuts and were cheering. My friend being a huge Prince fan went up to Prince but my friend was told by his big blonde bodyguard that Prince did not want to be bothered. But the weird thing was who I was seated next: Alan Thicke and his family. I ended up sitting next to Robin Thicke. When my friend came back from finding Prince, Robin overheard our conversation and was excited to hear Prince was present. He asked where and I pointed him out. Robin told his dad. Robin and I exchanged a few words about Batman then the movie started. During the middle of the movie I saw that Prince left early. Other than that it was a fun time to experience a movie in theatre with all the excitement from the audience. Wish I brought my camera.

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

^Now, THAT is an incredible, awesome story!!! Thanks for all the details. I cannot even imagine the mind exploding thought of Keaton and Jack doing a mock fight! That would never happen in the age of cellphones.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎