X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Vintage Mego: 12" Mego Superman

This episode is special because it was sparked by a figure variant that i wasn’t sure existed, a very rare Parkdale Novelty (Canada) version of Superman. This episode we delve into the history of the Mego 12″ Heroes and the man who made them happen, Parkdale Novelty’s founder Morris Kotzer and discuss the distribution of…

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Ooh, one of my favorite Mego lines! Can't wait to watch this on the TV when I get home!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

Just when I think I prefer your non-Mego vintage toy videos, you go and do one that makes me think I prefer your Vintage Mego video. That is until the next Toy Venture video...
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Thanks it's very cathartic to talk about this stuff.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, that is quite a winding story! I wonder how the Parkdale folks felt about Grand Toys mowing their grass, and then taking over their entire yard?

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• scott metzger
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 9, 2007

I love this kind of video; ofttimes, the history of the toys is as fascinating, if not more so, than the toys themselves. This twisting tale is no exception.

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              Wow, that is quite a winding story! I wonder how the Parkdale folks felt about Grand Toys mowing their grass, and then taking over their entire yard?
              They were not happy about it, they survived (still in business) and in a way, dodged a few bullets of less successful Mego lines. Grand folded about ten years ago.

Marty told me at MegoMeet last year that he wished he'd kept a relationship with Parkdale and praised Morris as being a very smart man. My father used to deal with Parkdale in the 1970s and he admired Morris for the exact same reasons.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

They were not happy about it, they survived (still in business) and in a way, dodged a few bullets of less successful Mego lines. Grand folded about ten years ago.

Marty told me at MegoMeet last year that he wished he'd kept a relationship with Parkdale and praised Morris as being a very smart man. My father used to deal with Parkdale in the 1970s and he admired Morris for the exact same reasons.
                Wow, interesting. I just looked them up, and it looks like they do nice plush toys. Great to hear they are still out there, making toys for kids. Cute stuff.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

From what I understand, the cash obtained from selling the Mego overstock in the early 1980s really helped them invest in their future product lines and while they're not as flashy as action figures, they've become a leader in plush in Canada. They just invited me to their 75th birthday bash, I really want to go.

Comment

• Jason73
                    Correctamundo!
                    • Jan 11, 2009

I really enjoyed the video. I had many of the 12 inch heroes when I was a kid. Was I the only one who couldn't figure out how to make the Fly Away Action work? I probably couldn't read the instructions well enough when I was little.
                    Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

I had the fly away Superman, we flew him so fast the rope actually burned through the wheel on the flying action

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I finally took time to watch this--very interesting and informative. After Megomeet, 12" Megos are enticing me and it's helpful to know the lineage and variations thereof. Seems a good idea, as Chris offered, to reach out to Canadian members for referrals and advice.

Thanks for this video!
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                          Museum Paramedic
                          • Aug 31, 2005

Loved the video! I’ve always liked the 12” superheroes, and am old enough to have seen all in stores, but I never saw any of them when I was a kid. I don’t know if I missed them because they were placed in a different isle (I recall when Mego KISS came out and never saw them), they were out of my line of sight or if they weren’t available everywhere that Mego was sold.

- Ian
                          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• TRDouble
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jul 10, 2012

I finally found time to watch this. I am ticked off because last year at a comic con in Buffalo, I saw the Superman, but the price was out of my range.

The next year, I decided I really wanted it, but the vendor was not there. There was no guarantee that he still had it, but I was hoping he would be there and I would have a second chance at it.

I wish someone would do repros of the Parkdale 12.5" figures. I never cared for my 12.5" Superman Movie figure and Spider-Man was too bulky IMO.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎