Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Mego: 12" Mego Superman

Megomuseum News Vintage Mego: 12" Mego Superman

This episode is special because it was sparked by a figure variant that i wasn’t sure existed, a very rare Parkdale Novelty (Canada) version of Superman. This episode we delve into the history of the Mego 12″ Heroes and the man who made them happen, Parkdale Novelty’s founder Morris Kotzer and discuss the distribution of…

More...

Images
    Ooh, one of my favorite Mego lines! Can't wait to watch this on the TV when I get home!

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Images
    Just when I think I prefer your non-Mego vintage toy videos, you go and do one that makes me think I prefer your Vintage Mego video. That is until the next Toy Venture video...
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Blog Entries
    Thanks it's very cathartic to talk about this stuff.

Images
    Wow, that is quite a winding story! I wonder how the Parkdale folks felt about Grand Toys mowing their grass, and then taking over their entire yard?

Chris

I love this kind of video; ofttimes, the history of the toys is as fascinating, if not more so, than the toys themselves. This twisting tale is no exception.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth 2 Chris View Post
    Wow, that is quite a winding story! I wonder how the Parkdale folks felt about Grand Toys mowing their grass, and then taking over their entire yard?
    They were not happy about it, they survived (still in business) and in a way, dodged a few bullets of less successful Mego lines. Grand folded about ten years ago.

Marty told me at MegoMeet last year that he wished he'd kept a relationship with Parkdale and praised Morris as being a very smart man. My father used to deal with Parkdale in the 1970s and he admired Morris for the exact same reasons.

Images
    They were not happy about it, they survived (still in business) and in a way, dodged a few bullets of less successful Mego lines. Grand folded about ten years ago.

Marty told me at MegoMeet last year that he wished he'd kept a relationship with Parkdale and praised Morris as being a very smart man. My father used to deal with Parkdale in the 1970s and he admired Morris for the exact same reasons.
    Wow, interesting. I just looked them up, and it looks like they do nice plush toys. Great to hear they are still out there, making toys for kids. Cute stuff.

https://www.parkdalenovelty.com/

Chris

Blog Entries
    From what I understand, the cash obtained from selling the Mego overstock in the early 1980s really helped them invest in their future product lines and while they're not as flashy as action figures, they've become a leader in plush in Canada. They just invited me to their 75th birthday bash, I really want to go.

I really enjoyed the video. I had many of the 12 inch heroes when I was a kid. Was I the only one who couldn't figure out how to make the Fly Away Action work? I probably couldn't read the instructions well enough when I was little.