X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marvelmania
    A Ray of Sunshine
    • Jun 17, 2001

Watermelon or cantaloupe

Everyone loves a good summertime treat. I fondly remember eating both watermelon and cantaloupe during the summer evenings to cool off. I always preferred watermelon by far! How about you?
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

I really don't care for either but I will eat water melon if the mood suits me. don't like the taste of cantaloupe at all

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

Watermelon was always a big treat at summertime picnics back in the day. Spitting seeds was just an added bonus.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
        I really don't care for either but I will eat water melon if the mood suits me. don't like the taste of cantaloupe at all
        Me, too. But honeydew--now that's delicious.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Mushmelon with a sprinkle of sugar

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

^In NE Ohio, many older people call cantaloupe "muskmelon." My grandfather usually put salt on his.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Treadwell
              Museum Super Collector
              • Dec 31, 2018

Watermelon all the way. Nothing added.

I don't particularly care for cantaloupe. If it's in with some mixed fruit I'm having, I'll eat it, but otherwise...

Comment

• RonnyG
                Career Member
                • Apr 23, 2014

When I was a kid, I loved watermelon, but now as an adult, I eat more cantaloupe. Sometimes, I like to squeeze lemon juice on it to make it juicier and flavorful!
                Last edited by RonnyG; Jun 25, '19, 12:50 AM.

Comment

• MRP
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2016

Never liked watermelon, but I do like cantaloupes. However, I agree, honeydew is the better melon overall.

-M
                  "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• JediJaida
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 14, 2008

Ice cold watermelon with salt sprinkled on it. That makes it taste sweeter.

Or, freshly pulped watermelon juice with ice.

Delicious!
                    JediJaida

Comment

• danadoll
                      Micronaut Nut!
                      • Apr 11, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      Me, too. But honeydew--now that's delicious.
                      Is that the green one, because that's the one I like? I hate watermelon, though.

Dana
                      "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

I freeze watermelon in popsicle molds. Healthy and refreshing.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

One time when I was a kid at a picnic I ate a half of watermelon

That night I heaved it all up and out

Never ate another one since

I get sick just looking at them even today

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

Watermelon by a country mile. I like cantaloupe, but LOVE a good watermelon.

When you get a not-so-good watermelon, its very disappointing.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Watermelon is my favorite fruit. I do love cantaloupe too though.

I eat watermelon practically everyday when it’s in season.

Having said that, it’s the one fruit that has to be perfect for me, otherwise I can hate it as well.

You see, I like a certain texture and sweetness to it. If it’s “sandy”, meaning, has that firm/crip snap to it and it’s really sweet...there’s nothing I like more than that watermelon. But if it has that rubbery cucumber texture and it’s low in the sweet scale...I hate it and throw it away. My watermelon success rate is 50/50. Of all the watermelons I buy, half of them are devoured and the other half are discarded and thrown away.

Sometimes I eat watermelon as is, especially if it’s super sweet. Sometimes I eat it Mexican style and add sea salt, paprika, hot sauce (Guacamaya), and lime juice (my second favorite fruit).

Or these:

Those products goes great with other fruits as well...mango, pineapple, jicama, cucumber, papaya, etc.

Having said all of that...cantaloupe is way superior as a Mexican agua fresca, as interestingly enough, I’m not a fan of watermelon agua fresca, go figure, lol...

Cantaloupe shakes are great too...

I don’t recommend watermelon shakes though, it was disgusting, lol.

I will be preparing some watermelon Mexican style a bit later. I’ll post pictures...

Last edited by Hector; Jun 25, '19, 2:04 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎