Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toys R Us to re-open in the US this fall.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Toys R Us to re-open in the US this fall.

Six smaller stores and an ecommerce site. It's a start.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Marvelmania
    A Ray of Sunshine
    • Jun 17, 2001

Hoping it all works out

Comment

• EmergencyIan
      Museum Paramedic
      • Aug 31, 2005

Now, I’m curious where the first six smaller stores will be located. I’ll be rooting for them. It seems like there is a need for a dedicated toy store chain. I’d guess with smaller stores (but not too small) they can stay focused on toys without feeling the need to go in other distracting directions.

- Ian
      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Sounds like the new stores will be about the size of a Walgreens. Kind of like a Toys R Us express type store, I guess, where they don't carry things like bicycles, diapers and those big plastic kid pools.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Makernaut
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 22, 2015

I'm not trying to be a carpet ****er ("Big Lebowski" reference), but I have come to understand the problem with toys today is that while people enthusiastically collect them, not enough kids actually "play" with them. And the reason toys from our era command big money is because they were played with and no one "collected" them at the time. The less played with and less widely distributed the more desired, right?

All that to say, we might live in the best and worst of worlds...simultaneously.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Makernaut
            but I have come to understand the problem with toys today is that while people enthusiastically collect them, not enough kids actually "play" with them.
            Do you have any idea how much Frozen and Disney Princess stuff Disney sells to kids every year? Well, let's just say it's a LOT. Collectors might also not like the budget 12 inch superhero figures they release for every Marvel movie but kids buy a ton of them to play with. Barbie and Hot Wheels sales are also really strong.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I think kids, as a whole, may leave toys behind earlier now, but yes indeed, they still play with them.

I wish them luck. Hopefully their prices can be competitive. The toy industry should really get behind them and offer them some exclusive product people really want to foster their return.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Chris and Makernaut have already expressed my thoughts, but I'll just paraphrase. I don't have data to back this up, but I suspect the window of time that kids play with physical toys is narrower now, because of technology and devices. So... yeah.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                  SynthoRes Transmigrator
                  • Oct 24, 2007

Seems there is a push to have children foster developmental skills via traditional toys and deter them from investing too much time in non beneficial technological toys.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/children-...154506952.html

While some state too many toys can hamper the growth of focus and creativity but agree toys are beneficial.
                  https://www.fatherly.com/news/study-...fect-children/

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

I also cringe when I see those news clips of millennial parents with their toddlers playing on iPads. But the death of traditional toys has been greatly exaggerated. I also think we tend to forget many of us here were anomalies back when we were kids. Even when I was little, kids stopped playing with dolls and action figures around age 10. Those of use that continued to collect and play with toys past that age were definitely not the majority.

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

I sell toys, toys sell! It's amazing really how the most basic of things still sell and sell.

One of our strategies at work is "Get your kids off screens and into one of our activities", it works.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy
                        I sell toys, toys sell! It's amazing really how the most basic of things still sell and sell.

One of our strategies at work is "Get your kids off screens and into one of our activities", it works.
                        That is really awesome. Must feel good to be a part of something like that.

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Werewolf
                          I also cringe when I see those news clips of millennial parents with their toddlers playing on iPads. But the death of traditional toys has been greatly exaggerated. I also think we tend to forget many of us here were anomalies back when we were kids. Even when I was little, kids stopped playing with dolls and action figures around age 10. Those of use that continued to collect and play with toys past that age were definitely not the majority.
                          Very good point. I agree, and I see the point you're making. We were in the minority then, and kids who play with toys past age 10 are in the minority now too, so over time, there may not have been as much change as suggested.

Still, it's hard to ignore the impact of tablets and phones and game consoles.

On the plus side, I think Lego is a much larger force for a slightly older demographic than it was when we were young. So, while we may focus on Action Figures and Dolls, building sets are still keeping older children happy.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji

On the plus side, I think Lego is a much larger force for a slightly older demographic than it was when we were young.
                            I think Lego has replaced model building as the socially acceptable play outlet for older kids. You wouldn't dare admit to your schoolmates you still whooshed around Luke Skywalker in his X-Wing at age ten unless you wanted them to make your life a living hell. But no one would blink an eye at a 10 year old building a Monogram model car. Lego fills that void today.

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

You're right. Although I prefer model kits. Results vary wildly, and the end result is really earned.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎