X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Batman '89 Toys

Hard to believe that that on June 23rd, it will be 30 years since Batman debuted in theaters. I take a look at all the Batmania in general, and the Toy Biz action figure line in general on the latest episode of Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys. It was fun to put myself back in 1989 and remember how I reacted to it all.

The Fire and Water Podcast Network Presents a variety of geeky topics! We celebrate an assortment of favorites through standalone episodes and mini-series!

Chris
    sigpic
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

I remember being disappointed they didn't use the Super Powers molds for the figures. The Batmobile is fantastic though. Unlike all the later Kenner versions, it's actually a two seater. BTW: Nice pictures.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

At one point in my life, I worked with the guy who orchestrated this deal. He was legit too because the people at Warner Brothers introduced me to him, he was a former rep for Kenner Canada. The way he told it, nobody really wanted the action figure license for the movie.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Anyone know why Toybiz ended up not using the Kenner molds? Seemed like a very late change.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

As I recall from my conversations, they never actually intended to use them. They mocked up concept figures from Kenner Super Powers but they had to sculpt their own. Like you, I was a bit crestfallen when I saw the final product.

Also I have a weird hangup about body proportion in art, most art teachers praised me for it, the Batman card artwork and his tiny noggin irritated me subconsciously, then i saw the Riddler card!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

^That was Carmine Infantino. He did the first series DC Comics Super Heroes art, and I think he did the movie figures too, which were then airbrushed. Bob the Goon is definitely Infantino's.

Interesting tidbit about the deal with Toy Biz. They certainly made a meal out of using the Kenner Batman and Joker in all the packaging and promo pics. They did of course rip off the SP line for the first series of the DC Super Heroes figures. They didn't for wave 2, and a generation cried.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
              As I recall from my conversations, they never actually intended to use them.
              Ah, okay. The whole line just seems so disjointed. Like Riddler and Penguin totally look like SP knockoffs and why totally re-sculpt Batman 6 different times. The whole thing was just so odd.

BTW: Anyone know how to fix the action feature of Toybiz Batman figure? The string on mine jammed years ago and will not go back into the figure.
              Last edited by Werewolf; Jun 21, '19, 2:11 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Wow, mind blown it was Infantino. I never knew him to struggle with proportion.

Weirdly enough, even though i was 18 and mixed on the toy line, it does fill me with a lot of nostalgia for that summer. Superhero merchandise and apparel is commonplace nowadays but back then, it was a pretty magical time.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I think Carmine was going for Kirby-like proportions, and very few artists can pull that off. Almost everyone has huge hands. Batman has HUGE shoulders!

Seeing "cool" adults wear Batman shirts legitimized a lot of what I was often chastised for.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• B-Lister
                    Eccentric Weirdo
                    • Mar 19, 2010

Summer 1989 was a very painful summer for me, but I clung to this film like a raft in a typhoon. Despite its many flaws, the film is sacred to me.
                    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• acrovader
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 19, 2011

Action figures pretty much reached their nadir at this point in toy history.
                      I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I'll be honest, I didn't and don't like these. I still have the playset, because to me it was an ersatz Super Powers Batcave, but the rest was horrible. And the ensuing line was more awful. I was relieved when Kenner got the license.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• cjefferys
                          Duke of Gloat
                          • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy

Also I have a weird hangup about body proportion in art, most art teachers praised me for it, the Batman card artwork and his tiny noggin irritated me subconsciously, then i saw the Riddler card!
                          Ugh, that Batman card art always bugged the hell out of me, the body proportions are terrible!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, the whole line was pretty disappointing, which I touch on in the episode. I was very happy to see Kenner come back. I wish they hadn't fallen down the rabbit hole of so many Batman variants, but the Shadow Wing Batman with pop-out cape and their Bruce Wayne figure are still some of my favorite Batman figures of all time.

Toy Biz's Batcave is pretty nice. And you're right Werewolf, the colors make it feel pretty Super-Powersy.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• B-Lister
                              Eccentric Weirdo
                              • Mar 19, 2010

I had longed for a Kenner Bruce Wayne for years. I finally bought one at my first or second Mego Meet.
                              Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎