Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making molds of original Mego accessories? Feasible? Realistic?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JacksCollection
    • Jun 5, 2019

Making molds of original Mego accessories? Feasible? Realistic?

Has anyone successfully navigated this endeavor. I have a number of accessories that have never been reproduced by any line since the 1980s. With age they have become brittle and started to break. I have been researching the idea of making molds from some of these accessories and potentially recasting them, not to resell but to outfit my collection. I would think things like guns would be fairly easy but what about more complicated items like belts, and what sorts of materials would you use to cast them if you were successful with the initial step of making a mold?
    I know there is a lot of information to cover in with this sort of question, and certainly this could just be a fools errand on my part.

Thank you in advance for any information
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

It's easy to do, but expensive to just be casting one of something. There are all kinds of materials to cast with, from rubber to powdered metal with resin. Cold cast metal guns...
    It's very do-able, but it's an investment. You would do better casting extras to sell, as reproductions. Other people might need what you are wanting, too.

Comment

• JacksCollection
      • Jun 5, 2019

I have things like gun belts from the Lion Rock WW2 line that are super fragile and almost always break after a while .... they are fairly complex with articulated holsters and belt loops. These would have held up better if they were cast with rubber apposed to soft plastic. I will continue my research I don't mind putting the effort and money into it if it has the potential to render successful results

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Cost is high, but it's totally possible. Success isn't an issue.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
          Often invisible
          • Jul 18, 2002

There are multiple products from Smooth-On that work in a variety of ways, hard resins for guns and such, flexible resins that would be better for belts, that sort of thing.
          The cheapest, and in my opinion better, way is to jump in, buy some silicones and resins, check out a few YouTube videos, and just start making things yourself.
          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Learn mold making and casting with these tutorial demonstrations from Smooth-On. You may never have heard of us, but you've seen our products at work. If you've ever been to the movies, admired a piece of sculpture, marveled at detailed architectural ornamentation or used a telephone, then you've encountered the handiwork of people who use Smooth-On rubbers, plastics, foams, and other products to turn their ideas into 3-dimensional reality. An overview of the topics we cover: special effects makeup, lifecasting, concrete casting, vacuum bagging, propmaking, silicone rubber, urethane casting resin.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
              Permanent Member
              • Jun 29, 2018

and no sin in selling a few to recoup the costs of the materials.

Comment

• JacksCollection
                • Jun 5, 2019

Thanks for all the information .... I believe it will be relatively easy to create two part molds for the weapons and helmets..... there is certainly enough information out there to get someone pointed in the right direction. I will probably start with those... I am still trying the wrap my head around molding the gun belts but I guess with experience, and learning from each success and failure it will come in time.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Are you able to lay the gun belts flat? If so seems like you could do a push mold with sculpey mold maker and then cast them with some sort of silicone.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• JacksCollection
                    • Jun 5, 2019

I can lay the belts flat, but the holster is molded onto the side and it has a articulated flap, that closes down to hold the pistol in place ... looks like someone created one similar, but for 8 inch MEGOs

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

this is a squish mold tutorial that seems like it is what would work best, but cast in a flexible material instead of the stuff he's using.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jun 29, 2018

i think you could also do a simple push mold using flexible sculpey as the medium.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎