Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mego Wave 7 Announced!

Very good news. Didn't expect the Phantom (definitely won't be the Universal version, but there have been multiple incarnations of the character). We knew about the mummy and horseman, but not Pennywise. I don't think Freddy is in the wave, as they confirmed at the Meet Warners was apparently being difficult. Rocky isn't really of interest (though a Dolph Lundgren in 8" scale would be most welcome, as would be Mr. T). Never really got into previous LotR figures like Toy Biz, but had often been tempted. Now I can get some figures without fighting on eBay. The Trek stuff is the real winner for me; we've never gotten anything past the first movie in Mego form, and I hope we get more. I'm hoping for the whole crew from the movies, especially characters like Saavik, and this gives me real hope for that. It definitely looks like we're getting past the point where they need to do a lot of re-releases. I think the only real re-use here might be Spock and Elvis (I don't think they could get away with re-using the Kirk head for the movies). but maybe we'll get new heads for them, as well. This is a very solid wave with stuff that should appeal to a wide variety of fans. LotR is a major score for Mego; there's a big fan base out there for that, and there's been a dearth of product for a long time. Folks see some of this stuff in the pop culture aisle of Walmart or Target, it's going to grab their attention.

Images
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure exactly how Universal controls the trademark of The Phantom of the Opera. The silent film and novel are in the public domain, and Chaney Enterprises may have a say about the 1925 make-up.

As noted, multiple variations are possible, barring something too close to Andrew Lloyd Webber. I also think that it's possible to do a skeletal version that echoes Chaney, because that make-up was quite close to the original description IMO. And after all, New Mego's Frankenstein is a barely-tweaked DST Universal sculpt.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Jun 19, '19 at 6:25 PM. Reason: trademark vs. copyright
    WANTED:Grayson SI trousers; Dale Arden dagger; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

On the one hand, I am really excited about the Wrath of Khan Trek figures, but on the other hand, it's Kirk and Spock yet again, and we haven't seen McCoy or Scotty anywhere in any incarnation yet. I am excited for the Khan figure though. I did make arrangements to reserve 8 of the releases through Chris Galamb over on the ambassador page (the 2 LoTR, the 3 Trek and 3 of the horror figs), but I am waiting until I see pictures of the rest before deciding on any of the others.

I wonder if/when we will get the announcement of who the 4 retail partners are, and if they will have the stuff from Wave 7.

-M

Images
    WOW! The future of Mego certainly looks bright! Gonna have to work a little overtime to buy everything...but it will be totally worth it! 😀👍

Paul Stanley as Phantom of the Opera

Paul Stanley as Phantom of the Opera 2.jpgPaul Stanley as Phantom of the Opera 1.jpgPaul Stanley as Phantom of the Opera 3.jpg

It would make since if Mego went with the Paul Stanley as the Phantom of the Opera. If Mego got the permission to do KISS it would make since to add in Paul Stanley's version of the Phantom. If not that will be the first custom I will make when he get released!
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Also AGAIN with Kirk & Spock...can we get the other crew members!!!!
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monitor_ep View Post
    Paul Stanley as Phantom of the Opera 2.jpgPaul Stanley as Phantom of the Opera 1.jpgPaul Stanley as Phantom of the Opera 3.jpg

It would make since if Mego went with the Paul Stanley as the Phantom of the Opera. If Mego got the permission to do KISS it would make since to add in Paul Stanley's version of the Phantom. If not that will be the first custom I will make when he get released!
    Egads, hope not.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Images
    Blog Entries
    A "Stanley" Phantom would require licensing from Andrew Lloyd Webber's company and really have nothing to do with Paul Stanley.
    WANTED:Grayson SI trousers; Dale Arden dagger; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PNGwynne View Post
    I'm not sure exactly how Universal controls the trademark of The Phantom of the Opera. The silent film and novel are in the public domain, and Chaney Enterprises may have a say about the 1925 make-up.

As noted, multiple variations are possible, barring something too close to Andrew Lloyd Webber. I also think that it's possible to do a skeletal version that echoes Chaney, because that make-up was quite close to the original description IMO. And after all, New Mego's Frankenstein is a barely-tweaked DST Universal sculpt.
    Universal has a license with the Chaney estate for use of the Phantom/Hunchback makeup.

I don't think the Musical Phantom mask can be used as that's the Lloyd Weber design. If they're following the book, it will be a black half-mask over a skeletal face.

I'm more curious about the "Egyptian" Mummy.

Images
    Blog Entries
    How does New Mego's Chaney agreement play into this? The signature Chaney make-up seems a different issue than Lon Jr. wearing Pierce.