Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott metzger
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 9, 2007

Very good news. Didn't expect the Phantom (definitely won't be the Universal version, but there have been multiple incarnations of the character). We knew about the mummy and horseman, but not Pennywise. I don't think Freddy is in the wave, as they confirmed at the Meet Warners was apparently being difficult. Rocky isn't really of interest (though a Dolph Lundgren in 8" scale would be most welcome, as would be Mr. T). Never really got into previous LotR figures like Toy Biz, but had often been tempted. Now I can get some figures without fighting on eBay. The Trek stuff is the real winner for me; we've never gotten anything past the first movie in Mego form, and I hope we get more. I'm hoping for the whole crew from the movies, especially characters like Saavik, and this gives me real hope for that. It definitely looks like we're getting past the point where they need to do a lot of re-releases. I think the only real re-use here might be Spock and Elvis (I don't think they could get away with re-using the Kirk head for the movies). but maybe we'll get new heads for them, as well. This is a very solid wave with stuff that should appeal to a wide variety of fans. LotR is a major score for Mego; there's a big fan base out there for that, and there's been a dearth of product for a long time. Folks see some of this stuff in the pop culture aisle of Walmart or Target, it's going to grab their attention.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I'm not sure exactly how Universal controls the trademark of The Phantom of the Opera. The silent film and novel are in the public domain, and Chaney Enterprises may have a say about the 1925 make-up.

As noted, multiple variations are possible, barring something too close to Andrew Lloyd Webber. I also think that it's possible to do a skeletal version that echoes Chaney, because that make-up was quite close to the original description IMO. And after all, New Mego's Frankenstein is a barely-tweaked DST Universal sculpt.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Jun 19, '19, 6:25 PM. Reason: trademark vs. copyright
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

On the one hand, I am really excited about the Wrath of Khan Trek figures, but on the other hand, it's Kirk and Spock yet again, and we haven't seen McCoy or Scotty anywhere in any incarnation yet. I am excited for the Khan figure though. I did make arrangements to reserve 8 of the releases through Chris Galamb over on the ambassador page (the 2 LoTR, the 3 Trek and 3 of the horror figs), but I am waiting until I see pictures of the rest before deciding on any of the others.

I wonder if/when we will get the announcement of who the 4 retail partners are, and if they will have the stuff from Wave 7.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

WOW! The future of Mego certainly looks bright! Gonna have to work a little overtime to buy everything...but it will be totally worth it! 😀👍
          sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
            Talkative Member
            • May 11, 2013

Paul Stanley as Phantom of the Opera

Paul Stanley as Phantom of the Opera 2.jpgPaul Stanley as Phantom of the Opera 1.jpgPaul Stanley as Phantom of the Opera 3.jpg

It would make since if Mego went with the Paul Stanley as the Phantom of the Opera. If Mego got the permission to do KISS it would make since to add in Paul Stanley's version of the Phantom. If not that will be the first custom I will make when he get released!
            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• monitor_ep
              Talkative Member
              • May 11, 2013

Also AGAIN with Kirk & Spock...can we get the other crew members!!!!
              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]25752[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25753[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25754[/ATTACH]

It would make since if Mego went with the Paul Stanley as the Phantom of the Opera. If Mego got the permission to do KISS it would make since to add in Paul Stanley's version of the Phantom. If not that will be the first custom I will make when he get released!
                Egads, hope not.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

A "Stanley" Phantom would require licensing from Andrew Lloyd Webber's company and really have nothing to do with Paul Stanley.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    I'm not sure exactly how Universal controls the trademark of The Phantom of the Opera. The silent film and novel are in the public domain, and Chaney Enterprises may have a say about the 1925 make-up.

As noted, multiple variations are possible, barring something too close to Andrew Lloyd Webber. I also think that it's possible to do a skeletal version that echoes Chaney, because that make-up was quite close to the original description IMO. And after all, New Mego's Frankenstein is a barely-tweaked DST Universal sculpt.
                    Universal has a license with the Chaney estate for use of the Phantom/Hunchback makeup.

I don't think the Musical Phantom mask can be used as that's the Lloyd Weber design. If they're following the book, it will be a black half-mask over a skeletal face.

I'm more curious about the "Egyptian" Mummy.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

How does New Mego's Chaney agreement play into this? The signature Chaney make-up seems a different issue than Lon Jr. wearing Pierce.

Comment

• sprytel
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 26, 2009

1. This is amazing. While I'm obsessing a bit about the Trek figures, I am also really excited about the Lord of the Rings, the monster assortment, Rocky... tons of goodness here.

2. With TWOK Trek figures coming in the next wave and TNG figures shown, they are going in a lot of different directions with Trek. I wonder why the keep bouncing around rather than doing a McCoy or a Scotty? I am trusting they will all get done soon enough... but it is just odd.

3. I really hope they don't reuse sculpts or accessories. TWOK deserves their own heads and phasers. I'm not holding my breath for niche accessories like Kirk's reading glasses or the away team jacket (although I sure hope someone does a custom of that jacket!)... but I'm hoping they don't take the same old Kirk figure we have seen 3 times now, slap a maroon uniform and an existing utility belt on him, and call it a day.

(Wow, that turned bratty and self-entitled fast! Sorry. Amazing how short a walk it is from "I never thought I would see these. This is a dream come true." to "If they don't nail every last detail, fear my nerd rage!!!"...)

Comment

• VulcansFury
                          Museum Patron
                          • Mar 6, 2014

AAAAHHHHH!!!! Bandless Bodies, with Lord Of The Rings AND Wrath of Khan!!! And still $15 a pop! Kirk and Spock from TWOK are my most wanted Kirk & Spock at this point, so I'm thrilled. And with LOTR, how soon can we get a deliciously Mego-tastic GANDALF?!?

I really hope these make their way into Target! And for those who saw the DC stuff, was it classic DC or modern "New-52" with the unnecessary extra lines and Nehru collars?

Comment

• monitor_ep
                            Talkative Member
                            • May 11, 2013

Did the show the LOTR figures there and were the done like the movie? I get the feeling that we may get some great outfits with generic heads again with this lineup.
                            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• monitor_ep
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 11, 2013

Kiss Love Gun

lovegun1.jpg

Its nice to now know what version of Catman & Spaceman we are getting, feels like we went back in time when Mego released the Barbie style KISS figures again making my mad because they would not fit in with my other Megos.
                              78-kiss-tv.jpgKISS COLLECTORS CALL.jpg

As a personal touch I wish the would have used the flock to provide the KISS figures with the hairy chest, to me the figures look incomplete.
                              Last edited by monitor_ep; Jun 20, '19, 12:49 AM.
                              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• The Bat
                                Batman Fanatic
                                • Jul 14, 2002

Wow, BBTS already has this Wave up for Pre-Order!! Just ordered 2 ST:WOK sets!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎