X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spawn67
    Career Member
    • Aug 14, 2009

Vintage Glasses....

Anyone here collect or still have vintage glasses from the 70's and 80'S? Glasses that went with movie promotions at fast food places (Star Wars, Muppets, Smurfs etc)..I recently came across a huge lot of these for cheap in mint condition and even broke down and started using a couple. They still hold up well.
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I think the pinnacle of fast food collector glasses as art was the mid 90's with the releases of the Batman Forever and Flintstones series... They were even made in France

Comment

• B-Lister
      Eccentric Weirdo
      • Mar 19, 2010

Yup. I've always got a Moon Glass or two at the Meet every year.
      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Mr.Marion
        Permanent Member
        • Sep 15, 2014

Don't put em in the dishwasher it fades the color. Some glasses collectors like. The DC moon glasses go for $8-30 in mint condition. Shazam being least, Green Lantern and Arrow being the best. Smurfs and other 80's glasses might be a hard sell.

Comment

• B-Lister
          Eccentric Weirdo
          • Mar 19, 2010

I sold a Green Arrow at Mego Meet on Friday.
          Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Marvelmania
            A Ray of Sunshine
            • Jun 17, 2001

What Mike said. I was very heavy into promo and cartoon glasses but as far as worth, the bottom dropped out around 5-7 years ago. There are a few that kept their value but very few.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
              Permanent Member
              • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Marvelmania
              What Mike said. I was very heavy into promo and cartoon glasses but as far as worth, the bottom dropped out around 5-7 years ago. There are a few that kept their value but very few.
              I never drifted away from Superhero glasses so I don't know what the market is like for 1976 King Kong and the like. I did buy 16 WB glasses last year for $10 at a yard sale. My guess is the common ones go for $5 or less a piece. Slow Poke Rodriguez and Binky blizzard are the rare ones.

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

The only ones I still have are a set of King Kong ones as a part of my '76 Kong collection (I probably only paid around five bucks apiece at the most)

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

I think my favorite fast food promo glasses were Superman The Movie

BTW, back in the 70's I used to have a drinking glass with Underdog on it … Not sure if it was a fast food promo.

Wonder if it's worth anything ? … don't matter though, lost it years ago in one of my moves

Comment

• MRP
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 19, 2016

I only have one currently,a Terry and the Pirates glass I found at a thrift store for a couple of bucks earlier this spring...

I used to have a bunch-McDonaldland glasses, Burger King Star Wars and Empire glasses, Hardees' Looney Tunes glasses, Welch's Loony Tunes glass jars, and others, but an ex-gf was helping me move back in '98 or so (she was the current gf at the time but this was one of the reasons she became ex...) and was mad I was moving into a new place and not moving in with her and deliberately dropped the box they were in (and dropped is being kind, more like hurled it to the ground on purpose) to a heartbreaking sound of smashing glass. I never really had the heart to start collecting them again, and hadn't even given them any thought until I ran into that Terry and the Pirates glass...

-M
                    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• B-Lister
                      Eccentric Weirdo
                      • Mar 19, 2010

There is a facebook group devoted to collecting superhero drinkware.

I have a poster advertising the Robin Moon Glass.

B3558AE2-83B7-4387-AB7A-B980E5E011F8.jpg

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

The only one of mine to have survived the passage of the decades intact is one of the four "The Great Muppet Caper" glasses from McDonald's.
                        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

I have one, from Return of the Jedi. any others I had back in the day were used until the picture washed off and then got tossed

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

I have both DC series, and the Superman: The Movie set. I love them!

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
                              Museum Correspondent
                              • Apr 2, 2002

I Still regularly use my 70's Marvel glasse, DC Moon and McDonaldland glasses. I irrationally stopped using my 7-11 Slurpee cups after thinking too much about the potential for some sort of plastic leakage into my drinks. I have no basis for it, but it seemed easy enough to defer to vintage glass only.

glasses.jpg

Great topic, BTW. I've seen a lot of love for vintage glasses here over the years. I think there's a little bit of extra joy actually being able to use some of your vintage stuff. I wonder if I'd enjoy a full vintage experience by mixing up a glass of Strawberry PDQ in one of my old glasses. (I doubt it )
                              Last edited by Wee67; Jun 18, '19, 2:08 PM.
                              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎