X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

I love the new venue.

Back in 2013, when talk began of moving the Meet out of Wheeling, I was vehemently against it. At the time I was naive, and just didn't understand it.

But this hobby is growing, and people with more foresight than I could see it. When it moved to Skokie, I was a little crushed. I liked the friends I made, but I could not make that trip.

But Columbus? That's doable. And the new venue? Top notch. Beautiful hotel, tons of things within driving distance, and reconnecting with friends? It was a homecoming, and I was welcomed back with open arms, and no hard feelings.

Thanks for having me. I've never been so pleased to admit I was wrong.
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures
  • Bronxboykev
    Permanent Member
    • Mar 7, 2011

Good to have you back!

Comment

• B-Lister
      Eccentric Weirdo
      • Mar 19, 2010

�� good to be back.
      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I love it, too. It's convenient, sure--but all-around terrific. Great staff, too.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

Funnily... enough time has passed that a few of us were getting nostalgic for the Toy Museum in Wheeling. Don't get me wrong, we definitely outgrew that venue and it has been wonderful being in new cities and having much more luxeries and space available. Skokie/Chicago and Columbus have both been amazing experiences. Despite the cramped quarters and inadequate AC, we're kind of missing some of the intimacy the Toy Museum provided. You couldn't help but interact with everyone in that basement given how small the aisles were. Maybe one more blowout there in five years for Mego Meet 20! 8)
          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• scott metzger
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 9, 2007

I can't comment on previous locations, but I can say this one seems great. I noted that the hotel staff seemed actually interested in making sure things were going well for everyone. I've been to gatherings like this where the venue made it clear they were just tolerating all the invading nerds, that we were somehow beneath them. These folks seemed to be putting out a genuine welcome mat from what I saw.

Comment

• B-Lister
              Eccentric Weirdo
              • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by samurainoir
              Funnily... enough time has passed that a few of us were getting nostalgic for the Toy Museum in Wheeling.
              I understand the nostalgia factor, and I think of the good times every time I drive past the museum. But I came to realize it is the PEOPLE, not the place, that makes the memories.

You, Scott, and David have become my best Mego buddies. You have bought some truly weird stuff from me over the years!

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                Permanent Member
                • Mar 7, 2011

Can't help but get Deja vous every time we pass the wheeling exit but unlike the setup in the 2 previous locations I like the fact that we are all in the same room, and Judging from this year who knows we may need to grow a little again. All in all we enjoy Columbus and the new venue glad to call it home for the time being.

Comment

• B-Lister
                  Eccentric Weirdo
                  • Mar 19, 2010

The thing I like about Columbus is, if we need to grow, the facility will be able to accommodate expansion for the foreseeable future. We don't need to become toy nomads. I guess what I'm saying is: I like stability. Maybe one day it will be so big we need to rent out the convention center (one can dream!) but I love the tight knit but welcoming community we've built.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I noted that the hotel staff seemed actually interested in making sure things were going well for everyone. I've been to gatherings like this where the venue made it clear they were just tolerating all the invading nerds, that we were somehow beneath them. These folks seemed to be putting out a genuine welcome mat from what I saw.
                    Very true. It did indeed feel like the staff was on board for the whole thing.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

It's obvious given how relatively smoothly everything ran this year, there is a great deal of benefit that Columbus is Emce Hammer's home turf.

Huge round of applause to Steve for his tireless efforts in making each Mego Meet bigger and better every year (And Brian, Robyn, and the rest of the elves who pitched in).
                      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^here here!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by scott metzger
                          ...I noted that the hotel staff seemed actually interested in making sure things were going well for everyone. I've been to gatherings like this where the venue made it clear they were just tolerating all the invading nerds, that we were somehow beneath them. These folks seemed to be putting out a genuine welcome mat from what I saw.

I agree, I had that feeling, too and the desk staff even asked me how the show went when I checked out. I had good service at every level (desk, bistro, housekeeping).
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎